care for red mulberry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

patrickk222

Burning Hunk
Mar 28, 2021
alderson wv
hey guys i just bought some replacement red mulberry trees a week or 2 ago and put them in the ground about mid last week i was wonderin if anybody has tips for caring for em

Make a good basin with dirt around each tree and fill it with water twice a week.

Reactions: patrickk222
@Montanalocal has the right idea, I'm sure my great-grandfather would've approved. Mulberry does seem to prefer moist soils. But today, we have automatic irrigation!

I'm pretty heavily invested in Rainbird, here. Planted 100 trees in my first few years in this house, and likely approaching an imperial mile of buried irrigation tubing with 6 zones on an old "dumb" controller from ca.2000. You'd not believe the growth one can push with a small investment in fertilization and irrigation.

I've had two mulberries here, a red that was a true monster, likely 7 feet diameter, and a white that's only about 20" diameter. Both kill the grass under them every June, and attract deer far and wide, so I hope you're okay with that. The mulberries themselves are fun for kids to pick and eat, but don't taste especially good. I've made schnapps with them, and it's... okay. They put out very large surface roots when they get big, the 7' diameter one had 18" surface roots running out from it in all directions (damn thing looked like the tree from the Lion King), but you won't need to worry about that for another 150 years.

ty guys for the info .... it seems to me the only problem i've had was when a skunk kept tryin to uproot 1 on the first night after i put it back in the ground i made sure to stack cinderblocks round em and re put the protective plastic casing round it and ive been kinda watering it a good bit pretty much daily cause its been pretty hot out and @Ashful i kinda love it when i plant my fruit /nut trees that bring in deer

ty guys for the info .... it seems to me the only problem i've had was when a skunk kept tryin to uproot 1 on the first night after i put it back in the ground i made sure to stack cinderblocks round em and re put the protective plastic casing round it and ive been kinda watering it a good bit pretty much daily cause its been pretty hot out and @Ashful i kinda love it when i plant my fruit /nut trees that bring in deer
Skunks lol,I've trapped and relocated 9 in the last year.wish I could get rid of the deer as they ate all the maple trees I planted

20210408_063703.jpg

Skunks lol,I've trapped and relocated 9 in the last year.wish I could get rid of the deer as they ate all the maple trees I planted

View attachment 297791
I have a ton of deer, many dozens wandering thru my yard every day, and in fact I'm looking at four as I type this now. I've also planted maple trees, and yes... deer like to both rub them and eat them. But I caged the most recent one with some simple wire fence strung around four stakes, and two years in... no issue. I sized the fence ring to the mulch ring, so no issue with mowing. I probably lift the fence up off the stakes once a month, while running around with the string trimmer on my weekly rounds, but other than that... no maintenance.

I like having skunks. They take care of ground-dwelling yellow jackets, among other things. Of course, my dogs aren't the most likely to tangle with them, I might feel differently if that were the case.

I have a ton of deer, many dozens wandering thru my yard every day, and in fact I'm looking at four as I type this now. I've also planted maple trees, and yes... deer like to both rub them and eat them. But I caged the most recent one with some simple wire fence strung around four stakes, and two years in... no issue. I sized the fence ring to the mulch ring, so no issue with mowing. I probably lift the fence up off the stakes once a month, while running around with the string trimmer on my weekly rounds, but other than that... no maintenance.

I like having skunks. They take care of ground-dwelling yellow jackets, among other things. Of course, my dogs aren't the most likely to tangle with them, I might feel differently if that were the case.
i do have a good bit of deer in my area and for whatever reason theyre kinda extremely skittish and tend to stay at least 50 yards away from my house and tend to stay away from my new plantings as well as my 1, 2 and 3 yr old amer chestnuts but they do love 2 hang around my 2 apple trees ..... now the skunks on the other hand i'll give em credit for diggin up a pretty big wasps nest that was in the ground but for the most part the ballsey little buggers like to dig up around some of the trees i just planted and its kinda funny i thought i scared em away for good when i went after em with a broom and got a good whack in or 2