Cast Iron Apple Bakers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Saw an old post about one of these but no details. I know to core an apple and stick it on the center post, but then can I just sit it on top of the woodstove?!!??! Sounds delicious. Doesn't sound like much fun to put it in the oven if I have a good burn going in the Jotul.

we sell them, its a simple dish shaped piece of castiron about 4" in diameter, with a taperd cast iron post cast into it. I think it would be easy to make your own, but there cheap to buy too.

Haven't thought about those in years!!!! As kids, we used to just core the apples, wrap them in aluminum foil and throw them in the all-nighter wood stove for about 10 minutes or so.... Hmmm I wonder how the Heritage will like apples?

We do that all the time and is awesome. We core some apples and before wrapping them in foil we put cinnamon and sugar on them , wrap and throw in the fire. Also we love to throw our red potatoes from our garden wrapped in foil in the coal bed before dinner. Also we will make "camp fire potatoes" for dinner .......slice up potatoes , onions , cheese , bacon and salt/pepper in a big foil wrap and put them in the wood stove coal bed , Awesome , just awesome.

Good thoughts...will have to get one...on top of the stove imagine the smell drive you crazy!!!

We did some apple picking the last two weekends...the Mrs was busy with her special apple jelly made a ton of it...found a different orchard and they are just great...asked her twice for an apple pie and got little or no response...Took the initiative upon myself and low and behold...two pies that were very good, she was impressed and so was a good friend...

Was my first time making any kind of pie...even made the crust...my arm is getting tired..i will stop..

Maybe we need a new forum hearth cooking????

Vintage 181 said:
Good thoughts...will have to get one...on top of the stove imagine the smell drive you crazy!!!

We did some apple picking the last two weekends...the Mrs was busy with her special apple jelly made a ton of it...found a different orchard and they are just great...asked her twice for an apple pie and got little or no response...Took the initiative upon myself and low and behold...two pies that were very good, she was impressed and so was a good friend...

Was my first time making any kind of pie...even made the crust...my arm is getting tired..i will stop..

Well let me pat you on the back some and you can take a break ....... I'm impressed with your pie baking and also with making your own crust ! I used to cook/bake professionally and the "goodies baking" always seem to be the most fun. Home made crust making is not something every one wants to do and you putting one together makes the outcome just that much better .

I found some apple bakers online (ebay) but not sure if they will work on the top of the woodstove? I'm thinking they will since it gets pretty hot up there....?

I was wondering if the porcelin/clay bakers would be able to withstand the woodstove temps?
I have two made in South Paris Maine that are made for oven use.

Get you a big onion. Core that sucker. Fill it with ground beef & wrap in foil. Toss it in the coals for long as you like.
That and a cold beer and Im good.

Roospike said:
Vintage 181 said:

Well let me pat you on the back some and you can take a break ....... I'm impressed with your pie baking and also with making your own crust ! I used to cook/bake professionally and the "goodies baking" always seem to be the most fun. Home made crust making is not something every one wants to do and you putting one together makes the outcome just that much better .

Thanks Roo, this rooster was doing a little strutting through the kitchen..Was givin here the Eddie Murphy line about the new sheriff in town....

Was at a small fabricators over in New Hampshire today and I even told two of the guys (was slightly nervous) Both looked at each other, " where the H3ll are our pieces" One of them raises deer on their property, and is well skilled in the preparation.

Ted, that onion deal does sound good!

OK, I see the development of an interesting thread here, "My Favourite Wood and Alternate Heat Cooked Recipe".

Seriously, I throw the challenge out. I'll post one under a thread with the above title in the Ash Can. (since it is a little off topic)

Sort of reminds me of my buddy that used to wrap wieners in foil and wire them to the manifold of his '72 El Camino. Until the day he forgot them there and by the time he remembered, the entire car smelled like a ball park for months. As I remember, not a big hit with the ladies, but every dog in town was his friend. But I digress.

When i was logging in the spring/fall would put a can of soup on the manifold of the dozer or the skidder, eat the first sandwich and by then the soup was perfect..

Status
Not open for further replies.