Cast Iron Radiator Heat Exchangers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwegian Wood

Jan 26, 2013
Southwest Connecticut
I'm halfway through building my 1000 gallon water storage tank.
With the cost of copper being what it is, I was wondering if I could use two or three reconditioned thin wall cast iron radiators as heat exchangers for the EKO loop.
I know copper has a way higher thermal conductivity than cast iron, about 6-7 times, but I will have a much larger surface area than coil tubes, and my intuition tells me this should work just fine, at a much lower cost.
I've seen a couple posts where this is mentioned, but apparently nobody has tried it.
Or has someone?
Any thoughts from the forum?
Thanks.

I'd be concerned with air lock. Other than that they're probably fine. Maybe if they're mounted upside down airlock won't be an issue.

They will corrode. There is also a risk of damaging your liner given the weight.
Copper is a cheap date for a heat exchanger. Another option is to use a plate hx. You would need a second pump, but
it might be a bit less expensive.

Would powder coating stop them from corroding? The insides are built specifically to carry pressurized high temp water, and they last 100 years +.
The outside I get, but I figured powder coating would buy me thirty years or so.
I can distribute the weight using picnic cooler tops. They last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.