Castable refractory replacement panels for WESO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mijoka

Nov 29, 2022
Pottstown, Pa
I have a 125 WESO and saw that someone else had the two rear panels of their firebox coal liners go bad. I had the same problem last year and I cast two new and thicker panels using Rutland Castable refractory cement. I measured the space and the original parts. The panels must fit the width available and thickness is only an issue by the two removable end blocks used for coal and a few small tabs that hold the panels in place. My original cast-iron parts warped in the center where they overlap. I made the new panels thicker and made the overlap thicker on the the panel that sits on the front of the overlap. I used the new parts last winter and have recently started using the stove again this year. I also used the same cement to cast panels that sit on the face of the two end blocks. This made the firebox walls vertical on the ends, which protects the end blocks but also seem to make the coal burn better on the left and right ends. I used very simple homemade wooden forms/molds which were coated with vaseline for a release agent. Why junk a stove when you can make parts for under $30. I also cast a spare set of rear panels in case I need them in the future.

Reactions: ABusWrench
I have a 125 WESO and saw that someone else had the two rear panels of their firebox coal liners go bad. I had the same problem last year and I cast two new and thicker panels using Rutland Castable refractory cement. I measured the space and the original parts. The panels must fit the width available and thickness is only an issue by the two removable end blocks used for coal and a few small tabs that hold the panels in place. My original cast-iron parts warped in the center where they overlap. I made the new panels thicker and made the overlap thicker on the the panel that sits on the front of the overlap. I used the new parts last winter and have recently started using the stove again this year. I also used the same cement to cast panels that sit on the face of the two end blocks. This made the firebox walls vertical on the ends, which protects the end blocks but also seem to make the coal burn better on the left and right ends. I used very simple homemade wooden forms/molds which were coated with vaseline for a release agent. Why junk a stove when you can make parts for under $30. I also cast a spare set of rear panels in case I need them in the future.
Interested in the Rutland cement to repair crumbling refractory panels (not cracked through yet). Will this product work since I am simply coating with trowel vs casting? thanks!

I have not tried it for a repair. Go to Rutland's website and take a look. I believe they do mention repairs. I for one, like a bit of mechanical bite on such things meaning I may try to create some surfaces the cement got behind, thus preventing the repair from falling off if the adhesion fails. A gouge or hole that is wider in the back will not allow a hardened repair to slide out . There may also be a minimum thickness it can be applied at.

Reactions: joudin
Thank you for posting this! I am interested in the how your cast panel has held up. Did you use any reinforcement, or just the cement?

I recently purchased a Weso HSK 125C and the back right baffle has a serious warp that allowed enough heat to bypass and crack the back plate. Being able to cast a replacement panel would would get half of my problem fixed.

Last edited: