Castle Serenity auger keeps jamming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Troy35

Feb 6, 2017
idaho
I just bought a new castle serenity pellet stove and it is constantly jamming. As the auger feeds the pellets upward, the pellets are getting wedged between the auger blade and the tube that the pellets go up into. I have to stick my hand down into the pellets and break them away from the auger to clear them. I have to use a screwdriver sometimes since they wedge tightly. I have tried several types of pellets with the same results. When I fill my hopper past the top of the auger it jams even more. I can only put in about 3 - 4 pounds of pellets at a time. Anyone have the same problem or any advice. We only had it working for 2 days and are on the verge of returning it.

I just bought a new castle serenity pellet stove and it is constantly jamming. As the auger feeds the pellets upward, the pellets are getting wedged between the auger blade and the tube that the pellets go up into. I have to stick my hand down into the pellets and break them away from the auger to clear them. I have to use a screwdriver sometimes since they wedge tightly. I have tried several types of pellets with the same results. When I fill my hopper past the top of the auger it jams even more. I can only put in about 3 - 4 pounds of pellets at a time. Anyone have the same problem or any advice. We only had it working for 2 days and are on the verge of returning it.

Have you called tech support? Look for posts by rich2500. He and a few others have had great results calling tech support as you actually get to talk to a person, and they have been very knowledgeable from what people say. I have 2 Serenitys and have not had any auger issues. The auger should break right thru the pellets. So it must be in the auger drive mechanism. Which is simple and easy to get to.

Have any stove info ready and try calling tech support. 800-345-6007

Ditto, never had an auger jam with the Serenity.

What kind of pellets ?
If they are cheap and very long, I had a jam after some 20 years w/out a problem just a week ago.

Have you called tech support? Look for posts by rich2500. He and a few others have had great results calling tech support as you actually get to talk to a person, and they have been very knowledgeable from what people say. I have 2 Serenitys and have not had any auger issues. The auger should break right thru the pellets. So it must be in the auger drive mechanism. Which is simple and easy to get to.

Have any stove info ready and try calling tech support. 800-345-6007

Thanks for the information! I called tech support today and they suggested removing the motor portion right below the hopper (4 allen head bolts) and looking for any bends and checking the set screw the tightens the auger on to the motors shaft. After taking it apart I noticed the set screw was backed all the way out with no grip on the motor shaft. I just tightened it up. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
We use pacific pellet 100% Douglas fir. My set screw was backed all the way out on the auger. I tightened it down more. Hopefully it is fixed now.

Thanks for the information! I called tech support today and they suggested removing the motor portion right below the hopper (4 allen head bolts) and looking for any bends and checking the set screw the tightens the auger on to the motors shaft. After taking it apart I noticed the set screw was backed all the way out with no grip on the motor shaft. I just tightened it up. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Awesome. That should make that auger grind right on thru. Please let us know how it does work.