Castle Serenity overflowing burn pot after normal start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shaunaelizabeth90

Nov 15, 2021
Vermont
We have had our pellet stove for about 4 hrs now. It has ran perfectly. We did a deep clean on it to get ready for winter about a month ago. We started it last week and it has been fine. I started it today and it started perfectly as usual with a nice big flame, then about 30min later it started beeping and the burn pot was overflowing and the flame was out. I’m not sure what is wrong since it started normally.

What is your idea of a 'deep clean'? Any unit, every unit should be cleaned in the spring after the season is done, not the fall with corrosive ash sitting in it all summer. Venting as well. Doing it ass backward.

Don't you mean 'had it for 4 years now"... How many deep cleans did you do in that time frame and again, what is a deep clean'?

I read that deep clean phrase on here all the time. means noting to me because one person's idea of a deep clean and mine are 2 different animals.

Excluding a board issue, sounds to me like the combustion fan motor is tied up from dry bearings or there is a load of coagulated ash in the exhaust tract. Ash has a bad habit of solidifying if not removed after the season is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
1- did you have to be an ass with you response? I came on here asking for help/advice, not rude ass sarcasm.
2- we took all of the side/ back panels off, took apart all of the major parts, replaced the gaskets and vacuumed.
3- if you have no advice to offer then don’t waste my time commenting

Shaunaelizabeth, Sorry that was rude of him. If you could add some detail of what type of stove . Others with experience with that stove might be able to help. Sometimes the number of beeps you hear could be an error code if you have the manual.

Shaunaelizabeth, Sorry that was rude of him. If you could add some detail of what type of stove . Others with experience with that stove might be able to help. Sometimes the number of beeps you hear could be an error code if you have the manual.
When I called the company to order parts I told them the stove is a Castle Serenity pellet stove and they didn’t need to know the model or serial number Bc she said Castle Serenity parts are interchangeable. I have the manual but it doesn’t say anything about the number of beeps point to a certain problem. I started the pellet stove a little while ago again to see if it was just a fluke and it ran for a about an hr perfectly and then the fire slowly died down and went out but the auger kept dropping pellets. I’m not sure if it has to do with the room being warmer than the control temp we had the board set to or not

0CF277FC-E975-43B9-930E-B6D0A243F360.jpeg

With the fire going out but being feed pellets sounds
like an air problem ash in passages, the air intake plugged
the chimney plugged or a combustion fan not working properly
Internal passages in the stove could also be plugged with ash

Have you found the problem? I had the same issue a few years back. The stove would start up fine and run through its normal cycle of dropping the pellets every few seconds. Then at no specific time in the operation of the stove the auger would run continuously dumping pellets into the burn pot. If you look at the scmatic in the owner's manual there should be a capactor in line to you auger motor. I replaced the capactor and it cleared up the issue.