Castle Serenity vs Comfortbilt HP50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtbphoto

Jan 3, 2019
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Hello, I am currently using a Serenity in my 800 sq ft house and although I like the stove, it has its quirks (hard starts, small hopper, cleaning is kinda a pain.) I am moving to a poorly insulated 3 story 1000sq ft house with the stove on the middle floor. I am torn between the Castle Serenity and the HP50. I like the HP50 because of the ease of cleaning and that it is rated as more efficient (81 vs 69%) I believe. I run my Serenity only on the lowest setting now and like how little pellets it uses. I live in California at 8,100 ft elevation if that matters. Looks like the cost difference is $400 more for the HP50, Is it worth it?
Thanks

I'd go with the Castle. Most people choose the Castle for its ease of cleaning and customer service. The Comfortbilt looks like a sister stove using many of the same parts/design.

I highly doubt the comfortbilt will be easier to clean than a Serenity.

You complained about your Chinese stove,yet are considering a different Chinese stove.I guess you have never lived where your life depends on heat.China stoves,some of them,have a OK record,but,where I live,you would not bet your life on it.

I ordered another Castle Serenity. My current Serenity is used the most and has never failed me in the 4 years I have had it. My rental has a Lopi that has gone through an igniter or 2 in the last few years. I also manage units with a Harman that is absolute junk, and a brand new Quadrafire that is amazing, clean, holds a ton of pellets, but is poorly designed IMO.

Sounds like you done the right thing, sticking with what you have had good luck with and a stove you know.