Castleton air intake defect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wetwood4life

Oct 29, 2022
Central MA
I just cleaned packed ash out of the primary air hole on my Castleton. When I looked in there afterward, I saw what looks like a hunk of metal partially blocking the hole. It would explain why the ash built up in the first place. I can't budge it with a coat hanger. Can anyone confirm if this is normal, or a manufacturing defect in my stove? It might be the same design on the Heritage and Manchester, not sure.

IMG_20240218_152014.JPG IMG_20240218_151846.jpg

Is it actually metal? My Mansfield they got pretty wild with the sealant.

Could be! It's very hard like cast iron or a rock. At first I thought it was a piece of char that I could break up. I figured it couldn't be a rock, but sealant/cement makes sense.

I don't know what to do about it if it's not supposed to be there, especially if it's down inside the cavity. I've had problems with draft & incomplete burns since getting the stove, now I wonder if this has been a factor...

It could be the issue. I would think the air hole would be open by design. The sealant on mine is a whitish material they apply with some kind of gun. It had fallen onto the CATs and then hardened. (They were replaced since it couldn't be cleaned)

If you can, I would start with your dealer or if it's not too far show up and look at another stove to compare.

Reactions: wetwood4life
Emailed the dealer pictures, they checked the floor model and it's not there. They're checking with Hearthstone. I'm dreading what a warranty claim would look like here. I think you're right about it being sealant, the blockage is right at the seam of 2 stones. Thank you!

Hopefully it goes smoothly for you. Look at the upside, now you know why you couldn't get a good burn. Let me know how it sorts out. You very well cold end up with a new stove out of the deal.