Cat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
I have a VC Encore FlexBurn.
I get the stove heated up to 500F, make sure I have a solid bed of coals, and throw the lever to operate in Cat mode.
My question is this: after putting it in Cat mode and it has been running a while and my splits have burned down some, at what lower temp should I be taking it out of Cat mode? 400? 350?

I, and I think most others, just leave it in cat mode even though it's not burning. The path the exhaust takes through the stove in cat mode will extract more heat, and send less up the flue. You could ask in the VC thread, but I would think that with Flexburn, you would burn in secondary mode for a while, then switch to cat for the duration. I'm just guessing though...

VC thread? My stove is only 3 years old, all I saw was a forum for much older stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.