Cat Stoves and firewood split size ø questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Assuming that the wood is dry, do you find a big difference in burn time with larger vs. medium splits in a catalytic wood stove?

With my experiences being limited to my Englander 30 and hand full of other non EPA stoves.... I just want to find out what to expect with my Blaze King come next Fall and in the future.

Most of my splits average 6"x7"ø

Thank you,Hiram

Wood doesn't burn, the gases given off when it is heated are what burn. Wood can only outgas from the surfaces. If you split a given piece of wood smaller, it will have more surface area for the same mass, so the outgassing rate will be higher and the wood will burn faster. I can't see how that would differ between a cat or non-cat. In my experience, if the wood is good, bigger is always better. Longer, cleaner burns with steady and controlled heat output.

The nice thing about the King is you can fill it with low density small splits and still get a 24 hour burn out of it. When using higher density bigger splits, I haven't been able to get less than 12 hour burn cycles. I shoot for 8x8s while splitting now.

SolarAndWood said:
The nice thing about the King is you can fill it with low density small splits and still get a 24 hour burn out of it. When using higher density bigger splits, I haven't been able to get less than 12 hour burn cycles. I shoot for 8x8s while splitting now.

Good to know! :)

Have you tried any 23" or 24" length splits East/West?

I had a buddy split a face cord of 4"x4"x 24" just to try out!

Cheers,Hiram

I had a little over a cord of longer stuff that I went EW with. While I don't bother to cut down the longer ones that will fit EW, I definitely prefer NS burning.

I don't have many splits over 6" diameter but find the bigger splits do burn longer. My stove only loads e/w so I put the biggins in the bottom back and fill in from there and consitantly get 12 hour burns.

Bigger does last longer. Longer yet are rounds.

Last night around 8:00 I put in one small split and 2 rounds (maybe 4-5"). Big coal pile this morning.

Backwoods Savage said:

Last night around 8:00 I put in one small split and 2 rounds (maybe 4-5"). Big coal pile this morning.

Nice new avatar Dennis, it shows the proper way to split wood! :lol:

In my King, I place 4 half rounds, (each 18"-20" diameter rounds split in half) which at 9% mositure level gives me around 30+ hours of burn time. My glass on the door stays cleaner if I load NS and also if I use smaller pieces. I actually have a solid door for day to day use and then have the glass door for Holidays and if we have visitors. It's always nice to see a fire....

How do you fit 4 9x18 to 10x20 splits in there?

sINCE THE DOOR OPENING IS WIDE ENOUGH BUT NOT TALL ENOUGH, I SPLIT THE LOG IN HALF. ONCE THE FIRST HALF DROPS INTO THE CAVERNOUS BOTTOM, THEN THE OTHER HALF INVERTED FITS PERFECT. I NEST THE TWO SECTIONS.

I TRIED TO ATTACH A PDF, BUT NO LUCK. JUST IMAGINE PUTTING THE FIST HALF IN FLAT SIDE DOWN. TAKE THE OTHER HALF AND LOAD IT FLAT SIDE UP NEXT TO THE FIRST HALF. DO THE SAME WITHING WITH THE SECOND LOG.

IT WORK!

Todd said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Nice new avatar Dennis, it shows the proper way to split wood! :lol:

Hey Todd, I've tried to change the avatar but it does not show on my screen. I wonder why it shows on yours? Strange... I tried to change it again this morning but it has not worked.

The old avatar image could be cached. Make your browser reload (refresh) the web page and see if that works.

Thanks BeGreen, that was it. For some reason I didn't even think of hitting F5. A senior moment?

Wow, you guys with the longest burning giant sized stoves trying to extend it further. I am enjoying watching this thread, keep those tips coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.