Catalpa ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I burned about two cords last year, maybe a bit more. I was happy with it. It was free and already cut to length. Some of the rounds were pretty big. If your splitting by hand and have some rounds with knots or crotches, forget about it. I would bang on some rounds for 15 minutes before they would split. Seemed to produce almost no ash, burned up nice.

webby3650 said:
Has anyone out there ever burned catalpa?
There is some big one in indiana burns good!The worms on the leaves are great for fishing

Okay, thanks. I cut a few down last year (8"-10") and left them lay. Never thought of burning them. For whatever reason, I thought the live tree was really wet. I'll have to use the winch on my Jeep to drag 'em up the hill now!

Adios Pantalones said:
Dry any N. American wood out- and it all burns my friend.

What about a family tree? Ever try to burn one of them?

I've burned a lot of Catalpa. It burns well but doesn't seem to make good coals. One thing to keep in mind is, don't leave the doors open while it's burning. It can pop violently.
This post caught my eye because I was in need of some dry wood to burn in the garage and I found a dead tree up in the woods, behind the house. I cut it down and split it today. I threw a couple pieces in the stove and knew right away it was Catalpa, because of the popping.
The funny thing is, this wood is ready to burn. It's dry as it can be.

Also Catalpas are very nice looking trees with pretty flowers.

We used to burn wood when I lived in the Catalpa district. I used to walk to the Catalpa general store when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.