Q&A Catalytic vs Non-Catalytic Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We are preparing to purchase a free standing woodstove for a finished basement in our home. Different dealers offer different opinions regarding catalytic vs non-catalytic woodstoves. (I suspect sometimes depending upon their respective inventories, but that is supposition only). Do you feel one type is superior and/or preferential to the other? If so, why?

Answer:

They are different, and each has their advantages. I prefer a non-cat if I can get one to do the job...less parts, less hassle. However, many of the larger stoves are catalytic. These stoves can hold more wood and burn longer than a non-cat. In summary, I'd buy a non-cat for a small to medium unit and a cat for a large one. A more complete comparison of cat vs. non-cat is in our articles section:
https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.php

Status
Not open for further replies.