Q&A cathedral ceiling support box installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm installing a hearthstone stove, in a room with a cathedral ceiling . The support box is a roof supported set up on the low end of the trusses. My question is seeing that the support box runs directly from the roof down through truss space of 15" into heated room without a thermo break is this going to condensate in extreme cold conditions.Has anyone have this type of installation and is there going to be condensation problems.Would a outside chimney chase help eliminate any possible problems

Answer:

-Having owned a fireplace store for 20 years and installed many hundreds of similar chimneys, I have not found condensation to be a big problem. The exception could be if you were located in a tremendously humid area, or if it rained every day all summer (like this year in NJ!) In those cases, you sometimes just have to grain and bear it and repaint the pipe every once in awhile.

Most condensation is formed when a cold pipe (like a water pipe) is exposed to the high heat and humidity....in this case, the insulated chimney is not really that cold compared to the outside or the attic, so perhaps that is why condensation is not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.