CB classic Wood to Maxim Pellet Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jedc43

Oct 23, 2021
Spencer Massachusetts
Hello, I have been burning wood for the last 10 years with my Classic 6048 wood boiler. I was involved in a accident last February and I now walk with a cane. My family has helped me process the firewood I need for this coming season but I am interested in purchasing a outdoor pellet boiler like the Maxim.
-So can I use the existing under ground piping with this boiler? Can it be that easy?
- can I use the same heat exchanger that ties into my oil system?
-If the power goes out, do you need a generator to kick in right away or will it just shut down safely?
- I burn around 10 cords of wood each winter (3200 sq ft home) how many tons of pellets am I looking at roughly?
I am sure that I have more questions but that should be enough for now, Tank you
-

What exactly do you have for underground pipe? I am doubtful it is the good stuff if it is 10 + years old. If it isn't the good stuff, you could be losing heat to the ground and I wouldn't want to be sending any of my expensive pellet heat there.

What exactly do you have for underground pipe? I am doubtful it is the good stuff if it is 10 + years old. If it isn't the good stuff, you could be losing heat to the ground and I wouldn't want to be sending any of my expensive pellet heat there.
Not sure...I know that you can see melting snow in the path so I would agree with you. But I am guessing that if I move the furnace closer to where the heat exchanger is, I wouldnt need much piping

Not sure...I know that you can see melting snow in the path so I would agree with you. But I am guessing that if I move the furnace closer to where the heat exchanger is, I wouldnt need much piping

That is bad. You should factor in new piping to your decision. Good stuff, no wrapped crap. Which can be $10-20 per foot all depending on your local situation.

Melting snow on the ground is a bad sign
I would start by dealing with that issue before you start buying pellets.
The 10 year old CB would not have been efficient enough to notice the BTU loss to the ground.
With pellets you can't cover the losses with going and cutting more wood.
The BTU loss is money leaving your pocket with no return,like walking around and randomly reaching into your wallet and tossing a $20 on the ground

Would it be possible for you to install a pellet boiler inside your house to feed the same heat exchanger you have now? You could have a pellet store outside that could feed to an indoor unit. That would eliminate the losses from the buried pipe and mind let you use some of your existing interior infrastructure.

Reactions: maple1