CB1200i Convection fan issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mralias

Minister of Fire
Apr 29, 2008
MA
Convection fan starts after reaching temp. (125 degrees) and runs for approximately 12 mins and then shuts off. It does not restart unless I shut the stove down and restart it, cycle continues again with the same end result. Snap disk was replaced and having the same issue. Suggestions? Thanks.

make a test lead from a lamp cord or extention cord and wire directly to the convection blower motor and let it run. if it shuts off while still plugged into the wall outlet it's probably hitting it's internal overtemp protection. blowing the motor out with compressed air may help get some of the dust bunnies out and let it run cooler. if it does continue to run it may be the snap disc is dirty or bad again.

make a test lead from a lamp cord or extention cord and wire directly to the convection blower motor and let it run. if it shuts off while still plugged into the wall outlet it's probably hitting it's internal overtemp protection. blowing the motor out with compressed air may help get some of the dust bunnies out and let it run cooler. if it does continue to run it may be the snap disc is dirty or bad again.

I have jumped the snap disk and the blower will run without shutting down. I have pulled the control box and cleaned it up and that has made no difference. The stove is 12 years or so old and I have never had to replace the control box (new one should be here Friday). Also ordered 2 new snap discs. I am beginning to wonder if it is dirty in the area where the disc heats up and it reaches the proper temp but then cuts out after the convection fan kicks on because that area is cooled off enough to trip the disc. Problem is getting to the area to clean.

So, step by step I will try to isolate the issue. Anyone knows how to clean the are by the #1 and #2 snap disc I'm all ears. Thanks.

Well I hate to say it but I think I fixed the issue and It was not the control board or the snap disc. It was ash build up right by where snap discs #1 and #2 are located next to the heat exchanger tubes. Not much ash there but enough to flip flop the temp to the snap disc. Initially it would heat up enough to trip the disc but after 10 mins. or so, it must have cooled it down enough to open the circuit again. Been running now for almost 50 mins without issue. Looks like I will have lots of extra disc #1's and a new control board on standby.

Thank you Ssyko for your reply.

My cb1200 has a panel that you can remove to clean the area. I believe yours does too.

25367D8E-350B-4B26-9B4A-ED87FD442F72.png

My cb1200 has a panel that you can remove to clean the area. I believe yours does too.

View attachment 259977
Glad you posted that. I read about that in the service manual. Problem is I can't locate it on the insert model. Unless I am staring at it and just don't see it. From the pic it looks like the right side of the stove as you face it at the bottom side of the stove. No such plate on mine.

Below are side by side from parts manual part 17 on the CB 1200 is what you are referring too I thinks. Part 25 is what I use to access the ash. Neither gets me no where near the snap discs are. Had to use a refrigerator cleaner to get near it. It worked!!!

Attachments

• CB 1200.JPG
    CB 1200.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1200i.JPG
    1200i.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
The leaf blower trick may help do a better job getting ash out of them hard to reach areas. Yes the plates are diff due to the insert model. May even need to be taken outside for a teardown and high pressure air blow out.

The leaf blower trick may help do a better job getting ash out of them hard to reach areas. Yes the plates are diff due to the insert model. May even need to be taken outside for a teardown and high pressure air blow out.
You are right. Have done the outside thing many years (about every year since 2008). This time required a scrub (I do mean scrub) at a specific location near the snap discs to resolve the issue. The leaf blower I have done many times. None of these will remove the caked on ash near the snap discs location on the c1200i. I never thought the a thin layer of ash would make that difference, But it did. I only hope that someone in the future will see this and try the cleaning first before all the other replacements. Again thanks for your help. You are what makes this forums great!