Ceiling Above Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
I looked around and didn't see anything but I am sure someone has asked this question before. Sort of a two part question, we are in the process of installing a woodstove in our walkout basement family room. The room has 7' floor to ceiling height and with the advice we have received on here we have been able to meet all of the clearance tocombustibles for the Hearthstone Manchester stove that we are installing. Here is my questions, our ceiling is 2'x4' drop ceiling the tiles are rated as fire resistant are these considered a non-combustible material? For piece of mind I am planning on removing the tiles and track above the stove and replacing it with another material that is fireproof such as corrogated metal or a industrial insulation board. It will make it a 6" recessed ceiling that we believe will help the aesthetics of the room. What would you recommend to install above the stove, sheet rock? I maybe able to get some insulation board as well. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.