Ceiling box adapter help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAH

Nov 15, 2016
Frankfort, Ohio
I am trying to locate the proper adapter for a ceiling box that I believe has 7" DuraLock or similar insulated pipe. I want to adapt the 7" pipe in this box to 6" standard black stove pipe coming out of the box. The ceiling box is round and was installed in the 1980's. There is a trim piece welded on the bottom of the box with approximately 7" diameter hole. I have a new Smartstove with a 6" chimney connector that is replacing a home made barrel type stove that was in the house when we bought it. The old stove was connected to the ceiling box incorrectly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

20161114_150321.jpg

Given the age of the pipe it should be checked out and verified that it is Class A HT chimney
Inspection will tell this. It looks pretty black inside that pipe, should be cleaned while at it, if it's proper chimney.

It looks like it needs a stove pipe adapter. Is there a gap between the inner pipe and the shiney shielding around it?

i think its metal bestos...
you need to pull the stack and install a dsa, or dsac. i think they call the short one a 7t-cpa
then a 6-7 increaser at the ceiling box

Looks like an old hart and cooley i had at my last house. I didnt have a chimney adaptor on it, just regular single wall going over the inner part of the class a chimney. A stove pipe adaptor is the correct way to do it though if you can find one.

20161116_074335.jpg
Given the age of the pipe it should be checked out and verified that it is Class A HT chimney
Inspection will tell this. It looks pretty black inside that pipe, should be cleaned while at it, if it's proper chimney.

It looks like it needs a stove pipe adapter. Is there a gap between the inner pipe and the shiney shielding around it?

Yes there is a gap, it is just hard to see because of the bottom cover. The gap between the inner pipe and outer pipe is about 1". There is a ring with 11 small dimples all the way around between the two pipes. My problem now is even if I find an adapter that will fit this box and pipe, there is no way to get it in there unless I remove the bottom cover which is tack welded in 4 places. Heatsource mentioned it looked like metal bestos. I am assuming that might be some sort of asbestos insulation? I did notice a white power coming out of the space between the two pipes which would indicate it had become friable if it is asbestos.

Due to the age of the pipe I would like to just replace it with new 6" pipe all the way to the roof, however I am having problems finding someone in this area who does wood stove chimney work. Normally I would do it myself but I really want someone who is knowledgeable and has experience installing wood stove chimney. I don't want to burn the house down.... Thanks for all the reply's, I really appreciate the help and advice!

Just got out of the attic and found a label on the pipe. Cableman got it right, Hart and Cooley 7DP30.

20161116_070718.jpg 20161116_074335.jpg

Attachments

• 20161116_174636.jpg
    20161116_174636.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.