Ceiling Clearance Questions- Newbie needs help!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgbiggreen

Nov 16, 2008
Central Vermont
Hello,
I have a Vermont Castings Dutchwest small model 2460 with catalytic combustor. It used to sit on the bare concrete in my partially finished basement but due to hip surgery I had a mason build a hearth so I could load the stove standing up. Due to a miscommunication, he built it about 10 inches higher than I had planned. Now the top of the stove is 30 inches from the unfinished ceiling rafters in most spots but on the right side of the stove it sits only 26 inches from the 3 2x8 support beams that cross the entire subfloor of the second story.

I cannot find any information from Vermont Castings as to what the minimum required clearance is from the top of the stove to the ceiling. It seems from my google searches that the minimum for all UL registered stoves- which I think mine is since it is only 3 years old- is 36 inches. Is this right? I called my local fire department but they are all volunteer and said they don't do inspections and cannot give me advice on clearances. Can anyone tell me the safe minimum clearances from the top of a small Vermont Castings Dutchwest to the ceiling? Can this be reduced by a heat shield? To what minimum clearances? Should the mason have known about the safe clearances for a ceiling and not built the hearth so high? He says the hearth can be lowered to make it 36 inches clearance but it sounds like it will be expensive.

Any advice on any of these questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks! J.R.

I'm pretty sure your clearances are not enough.

Does the stove manual give a clearance to a mantel? If so, it should be at least that. It sounds like you do not have enough clearance.

The only things I have seen about ceiling clearances here on the Forum were a couple of posts where a Century stove required 54" to the ceiling and one member that said their Hearthstone stove required 40".

I sure wouldn't burn in a stove 26" from a ceiling. Or anything else combustible for that matter.

Maybe the owner's manual guidance for an alcove installation would give a clue. Rick

fossil said:
Maybe the owner's manual guidance for an alcove installation would give a clue. Rick

I crawled the whole manual a few minutes ago. Nothing there but that they say not to be too close to the ceiling. No distance, just not too close. Real helpful eh?

NFPA 211 addresses appliance to ceiling clearance. Looks like installation of an approved ventilated shield allows a reduction down to a minimum of 18". Rick

James Gauthier said:
Yes, the minimum clearance listed for a mantel is only 20 inches.
A mantel has a limited protrusion and the stove's protrusion would be greater so it's not the same as a ceiling. The manual calls for the rear wall shield to be 60" which is 30" more than the stove, and given how far away the wall shield is from the top, the heat directly above the stove would be a lot greater.

Even if the manual says nothing I would at least put up a heat shield of metal or cement board with spacers creating a 1" air gap from the ceiling. But I like lowering the hearth down to the original spec better.

^ Agreed. Shield absolute minimum. Lower hearth preferred. Both best. Rick

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. It looks like I have to lower the hearth. The state fire marshall's office said their standards would allow me to install a heat shield and I would be fine in their eyes, but recommended that I check with my insurance company as they have the right to require more stringent clearances. I checked with my State Farm agent and they require at least 36 inches unless the stove manufacturer allows for smaller clearances in their manual or literature. Of course, as my luck would have it, Vermont Castings does not list or rate clearances from the stove top to the ceiling for my model! Given that, I have no choice but to spend the money to have the hearth lowered 10 inches! Live and learn I guess and now I know for next time to check clerances/codes for any construction I do in my home. Thanks again to the board for your help.

It's unfortunate that the hearth needs to be re-worked, but it's far and away the safest way to go. Rick

Thanks and I agree. I just regret that I have to pay to destroy half of what I just paid to have built a week ago. Hopefully it won't cost too much to tear down 10-12 inches. Any masons on here know about what that would cost? I paid $450 for the hearth to be built and it is 38x38 x 24.5 tall.

Ask your mason he may be sympathetic and give you a break. I'm guessing $150?

$150 would be awesome! Well not awesome but I was thinking he might charge me as much as it cost to build it in the first place as he said it it hard to take down once it is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.