ceiling stains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

j9tnu

Feb 2, 2018
cal
My woodstove sits on the north side of the room and the walls are only 6 ft so the ceiling is lower over the stove than some rooms.But not extremely low or anything.Then the ceiling rises to about 9-10 ft.
I used the stove all winter this year for the first time in 6 years. My house is about 15 years old. I notice now the outline of the roof rafters showing in a slight shading
just in that part of the room.It does get smoky sometimes when I am loading the stove so there is smoke around.
It looks like I will have to repaint this year cause of it. Have any of you seen this happen in sheetrock above woodstoves??The sheetrock above the stove is about 7 ft. But the rafter outines show on both sides of the stove out for about 3-4 rafters. But not in other parts of the room.

Soot stains. Make sure your installation is legal and drafting properly. A stove should not spill smoke when loading. Many stoves have a minimum 7' ceiling requirement and need at least 15' of flue to draft properly.

they dont look like soot stains. just a faint outline of the where the rafters are..like faint lines..maybe its the aging sheetrock..

they dont look like soot stains. just a faint outline of the where the rafters are..like faint lines..maybe its the aging sheetrock..
Yes but regardless you should never have smoke in the house something is not right