Cemented Screen - Defiant II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bsticks

Hearth Supporter
Mar 19, 2010
NW New Jersey
Hi All -

I am in the process of putting my Defiant II back together. After reading and re-reading the "Top to Bottom" guide and looking at the pictures, there is mention of a 24" screen that has a small "v" in the middle that forms two small wings, the guide calls it a "T". The problem I have is that I did not get this screen with my rebuild kit. My question is would the material for this screen be stainless, solid aluminum, or something else? Does it actually have holes like a normal screen?

I read in the various forums that this screen is vital for the secondary air and proper function of the stove. I do not want to skip this step and was wondering if anyone out there knows the material type, if you can make your own, or where to purchase this screen.

Regards,
bsticks

I just rebuilt my VC defiant, replacing the fireback and the screen. Mine is the original Defiant, not the Defiant two but I would think it would be the same type of screen (not positive).

Mine came with what looked like a typical metal/steel screen door screen, fine mesh. It was a flat section about 4" wide I guess and probably about 24" long. I didn't measure it. I had to shape it to the 'T' to seal the top part of the air tube where the fireback meets the back of the stove.

You can see the screen in the original Defiant kit here, between the two sections of fireback in the picture. http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/555686/products/Vermont-Castings-Defiant-Fireback-Kit-Box-2.html

Good luck.

Also, the repair instructions do not state as to whether or not this screen is cut to fit. Seems like a large piece for a tight area or am I missing something?

Thanks again,
bsticks

It is a metal screen, some sort of steel. Not aluminum for sure. Maybe just a basic steel screen. I am not sure if it is galvanized or not.

I formed a 'T' with mine with the leg of the T just about the same length as the thickness of the steel it is going between. Maybe about 1/4" or so. You are correct, there is a lot of extra screen. I just pushed the extra down into the corners then folded it neatly over itself from both sides. Basically I think it is just giving the stove cement some foundation and form to seal the top/roof of the air tube that runs through the fireback.

Below is a link to the exact same instructions that came with my kit. Top right corner of page four is how my T went in to the upper seal of the air tube. The top width of the T is where I folded the excess screen over on itself. I did this because it says to smooth some extra cement here so I just smoothed the screen down with the cement. It is working great so far.

Instructions; http://literature.mhsc.com/vermont_castings/manuals/2003225_Rebuild_Defiant.pdf

Is that because the lower fireback sits between to the upper and lower rib on the back plate? Cement the area very well and move along?