Cemetery Plot Sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
I have a friend who's aging parents purchased 4 cemetery plots in Southern Michigan (where they used to live) and now they want to sell them. Does anyone have any clue where I can point them to sell their plots? The director of the cemetery wasn't overly helpful, just said list them on Craigslist. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

in my town here in maine, the cemetary lots are sold by the town office. maybe you could start by checking with your town office, or they could point you in the right direction.

mike

That's how it is in our town here too, but this is a privately owned cemetery. I kinda got the impression that they got "snookered" into buying these plots and now the cemetery says "too bad for you".

I'd let the local funeral homes know. It seems they'd be the ones to know if somebody needed one quick.

Matt

Funeral homes would probably be the best bet . . . or perhaps let the town office know that there are some lots for sale.

Me, I bought a couple of lots a few years back when the town was about to double the price . . . went from $15 per lot to a whopping $30 . . . just a tad less than what a cemetery lot in Ellington, CT was cost when we buried my father-in-law . . . well, OK . . . a lot less than what the lot in CT cost.

My wife and I own ours, we bought them from the town. They told us if we ever needed to, we could sell them back for what we paid for them.

When you purchase a cemetery plot you are actually purchasing the rite to be buried in that specific place, you are not buying the real estate!

Don't know the specific laws pertaining to selling cemetery burial rites in Michigan, but in NY there are guidelines that you have to meet and the amount you can charge! When were the "lots" purchased and for how much? What is the current price of said "lots"

I have seen people try to profit from selling burial rites to graves purchased years ago and that is not allowed here in NY, but in NY State, cemeteries are very regulated.

Yes you should contact a local Funeral Home, they will be able to point you in the right direction. At least ours could!

Status
Not open for further replies.