Cenatral Boiler Maxim help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmfan36

Jun 4, 2008
north jersey
hi i just fired up my maxim and its smokes is this normal?my dealer says it would not.and due to the strick regulations in nj more than 3mins of smoke is not accecptable.any help appreciated

I also have a maxim pellet stove, here in ME the rules are tough also. I found that when the burn rate increases after idling it will smoke for a few seconds, it will do the same thing when it goes back to idle. when it is not idling you can't see anything just heat waves over the stack. My dealer told me (based on another customer experience) that when the stove is new, the oil burning off the metal will cause more smoke. try increasing the water temp to max (195* I think) and turning up the thermostat in the house all the way for a little while to burn off the oil. the feed rate control will increase the amount of smoke you get if you turn them up, I put my feed rates at the low end of the green range on the control panel to keep the burn cycles from happening so much, which are the cause of smoke. My dealer told me to turn up the fan rates to keep the stove from having burn problems in the fall when there isn't much demand for heat during the day. I turned them up to the top of the orange range. I also tried turning down the water temp five degrees at a time to slow my pellet usage as I was burning a bag a day even in warm day cool night weather, this caused very heavy creosote all over my heat chamber, don't try this. I think until you get some solid cold weather you will see some smoke as the stove cycles to keep some fire in the burn cup more often. If you are worried go find someone with a regular OWB your smoke looks like an outdoor grill compared to thier "steam locomotive" smoke.
The only other issue could be your pellets, I had a few bags that got wet on one end this so called summer, the rest of the bag was ok, but caused more smoke when they were burned.

I went out and fooled around with the fan rate on my maxim today, turing it up will reduce the amount of time it smokes when the auger starts feeding the fire, it doesn't change the smoke at the end of a burn cycle to have the fan set higher or lower (during idle), as the fan shuts off between cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.