Central Boiler Classic Edge 550 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NickMac

Mar 17, 2023
Medina, Oh
Hi guys I'm hoping someone here can possibly help me with an issue I'm having. I have a central boiler classic edge 550. On the backside of it there is a "sight gauge" that you can turn a small nozzle to check your water level. When I do this nothing comes out into the sight gauge water wise. The system also showed lo water so I tried refilling the tank according to the manual thinking this may also be the cause for no water on the sight gauge and I had a leak. However even after filling the tank with water, no water will show in the sight gauge despite the boiler getting so full the water starts pouring out the top of the boiler. Any ideas?

Hi guys I'm hoping someone here can possibly help me with an issue I'm having. I have a central boiler classic edge 550. On the backside of it there is a "sight gauge" that you can turn a small nozzle to check your water level. When I do this nothing comes out into the sight gauge water wise. The system also showed lo water so I tried refilling the tank according to the manual thinking this may also be the cause for no water on the sight gauge and I had a leak. However even after filling the tank with water, no water will show in the sight gauge despite the boiler getting so full the water starts pouring out the top of the boiler. Any ideas?
1) The plastic tubing used for that sight gauge has aged poorly on my Classic Edge 750. It's cloudy and hard to see through, but it does fill with water. Depending on your boiler's age that might be your problem. When you shut the valve after attempting to read it, does any water trickle down out of the valve?

2) Depending on the temperatures outside where you are, the valve that you turn to fill the sight gauge may be iced over, especially if you are trying to check it while the boiler is not operating/hot (and you generally don't want to add a bunch of fresh cold water while the boiler is hot so I'm guessing this is the most likely issue).

3) If you have refilled water make sure to test your chemical levels afterward and immediately add any additional boiler treatment chemicals that will be needed due to your makeup water.

4) If water is coming out the relief valve at the top, you've got more than enough in there.