Central Boiler E-Classic 3200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, Gas ? ? ?I think your average idiot can read "TarmSalesGuy"s name and recognize where his bias might be. And I've seen him be pretty even handed with other brands too.

This is true Deadbtus. That is why I am looking for some fairness in the boiler room. That is what I didn't understand. Why did you warn a new member to be wary of me because I recommend a Wood Gun? When the TarmSalesGuy, who you just said has been pretty even handed with other brands too, recommended a large Wood Gun himself. First. Then I seconded his recommedation. ?

But you seem - for someone that's only used his WG for a short time - to thing Wood Guns are the answer for everyone. Funny that another member here with a bit more WG history than you, thinks they suck. I'd bet both views are extreme.

I do not think that Wood Gunss are the answer for everyone. Although I think I have the right to an opinion. Do I not? And my opinion is that an appropriate sized Wood Gun with storage would be a good choice for his situation.

Now, can you honestly say that a Wood Gun with storage would not work in his situation. You can't. And you know it. I also think what has happened in the boiler room here is that some people in the boiler room have allowed themselves to be influenced by one persons experience. What do you know about a Wood Gun? Really DeadBtus. Why would you have any opinion on them? Do you have experience with them? Or are you going by what you have read here? What about in another thread over in the Wood Shed forum where a guy just said that a good friend of his has been operating an Eshland Wood Gun for 25 years and swears by it.

I think if you chill out you'll realize that people who attempt to understand a new members situation/question can find themselves in a better position to help a newbie than someone who just recommends the one product he/she has used, as if it's the best solution for everything.

Think about what you just said here. First, I was not unchilled until I read this response from you. What is it that, according to you, I did not attempt to understand about the new members situation/question? And how about a guy that may understand his situation and finds himself in a better position to help a newbie. Like the The Tarmsalesguy, who recommeded a large Wood Gun. Why are did you direct your comment of being wary to the newbie about me? And not the Tarmsalesguy?

There are some very knowledgeable people here that can often assist a new member. Don't make it so they don't want to contribute here.

I know there are some very knowledgeable people here. I have read quite a bit on this site. And I respect them all. Including you! Me adding my opinion does not make it so they do not want to contribute. A conversation like this, started by you, telling a newbie to be wary of me and not another member who knows more than I do and recommeded the same thing I did, is what can lead to someone not wanting to contribute here.

And of course, if you take issue with my style of conversation, take it up with me privately ;-)
So, in conclusion. If you want to take an unneccesary and unfair swipe at me by telling someone who is new to be wary of me and my recommendation. Don't!
Take it up with me privately! Practice what you just tried to tell me to do, and failed misserably to do yourself. Right in front of a new member. Just because you tried to do it more discreetly doesn't mean you didn't do it. Practice what you preach. Now I nead to chill.

Have a good night Iseedeadbtus. I will calm down now.

You have gotten some solid advice on brands from Tarm Sales Guy & Heaterman.
I agree that you will need storage no matter what boiler you consider, your heatload & the fact that you probably like to sleep will demand storage.
Agree that no matter what you will need to somehow get further ahead on dried 20% MC cord wood.
Two seasons ahead seems to be the reported norm here for the species you have locally. We are a little more fortunate out west as most of our local species are dried in a year rather than two.
Not sure if you intend to cut/split/stack yourself or just purchase, plenty of labor involved (annually) in a large volume of cordwood, something you will have to determine if your schedule can handle.
The only other consideration that I would mention would be a wood chip burning boiler if you want to lower the labour inputs on your end. They are pricey though.
Keep asking questions as this board has a large group of been there done that folks, as well as some pro's who will all steer you right regardless of brand.
They will however need more info from you so they can be as accurate as possible for your situation.

I have posted considerable info on the Wood Gun E500 and the Garn WHs 3200, which together heat 56,000 sq feet and provide supplemental DHW heat at an educational institution in north central MN. Since 4000 gal of storage was added this summer to serve the Wood Gun, these two units together now are a very sweet combo. Also, the institution added a Froling FHG L-50 along with 1600 gallons of storage to heat and provide DHW for a 6000 sq ft interpretive center and staff housing. The Froling is an exceptional performer.

WoodChoppa said:
Somebody needs to calm down and find a job...a hobby...maybe a life.

Yaaaa. So there Deadbtus. I already have all of them. :lol: :lol: :lol: (And yes, WoodChoppa, I know you were talking to me. Thanks for the advice. :roll: )

Here is the bad or inexperienced advice I gave the gentleman that apparently started this thread down the wrong road. If you go back through and read the thread.......

1. I recommended a solidly built, simple Gassification boiler that is capable of producing the BTUs he needs. (A large Wood Gun. Which has the 304 S.S. option)
2. I recommended storage with it, a very important part as well.
3. I told him he would need to season his wood longer than he planned. 1 year at least, more = better. (AHS recommends 20-30% M.C. - 1 year c/s/s could get him that)
4. Then I recommended reading material of an interesting comparison on two large boilers, both of which have been suggested by people other than me, in this thread.

There, now I feel better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a good day gentlemen. And good luck on your choice of boilers WTU. I hope all works out great for you. You are on the right track. Gassification is where it is at!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very good!

Gasifier said:
That was interesting info but the output quoted for the Garn is seriously out of whack. Probably due to how it was loaded.

Heaterman.

I find what you said interesting. (And I am not being sarcastic this time.) You say the output quoted for the Garn is seriously out of whack. Why do you think that? But you did not say anything about the output quoted for the Wood Gun. I am just curious. I don't know anything about the Garns, but I do believe they are a quality boiler, but that is just from what I have read. I also believe the Wood Gun is a quality boiler as well. Do you own a Garn? And if yes, how do you like it? A serious inquiry. Thanks.

My consistent experience with any Garn I have worked with has shown stated output capacity to be conservative rather than optimistic. What Jim was quoting for output is far below normal on a 3200.

No I do not own a Garn. I do not own any kind of wood burner at all but I have installed dozens of them. I have a well insulated house and a very good boiler burning natural gas at a little over $1/100,000 btu. My gas boiler uses storage if that tells you anything. :)

My consistent experience with any Garn I have worked with has shown stated output capacity to be conservative rather than optimistic. What Jim was quoting for output is far below normal on a 3200.
No I do not own a Garn. I do not own any kind of wood burner at all but I have installed dozens of them. I have a well insulated house and a very good boiler burning natural gas at a little over $1/100,000 btu. My gas boiler uses storage if that tells you anything.

:) Cool. Thanks heaterman. I appreciate the info. Your system sounds nice. What type of gas boiler you runnin? Got a picture of your system for us to see? Always interested in other peoples systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.