Century Hearth fw240007

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puredivinefaith

Jan 22, 2009
Salisbury NC
Hello,
I'm new to wood stoves. Actually I haven't even started yet. I have a 30 x 40 garage with a 12ft ceiling. Insulated walls and ceiling. I am looking to buy a descent looking wood stove that works good and found a New unused Century Hearth FW240007 wood stove for $300.00 and was wondering if this is a good buy and if it will be able to keep my garage warm? Info is greatly appreciated and needed. I performed a search of this forum on my topic and didn't come up with anything, so please help anyone who know has info on this or knows anything about it.
I live in Salisbury NC and found that a descent wood stove for sale is hard to find.
Thank You & God Bless.

Century's are OK stoves, they get the job done. I personally wouldn't want to use one for 24/7 heating but for a garage I would say that is a good deal. It would be perfect for burning pallets and whatnot to keep you warm, I would recommend getting the blower attachment as well. Just make sure you do your chimney pipe to code and watch your clearances on where you put the stove (not next to anything flammable).

First order of business is the safety and legality of your proposed installation. NFPA 211 specifically forbids installing a solid fuel-burning appliance in any garage or any other space where flammable vapors might be present. If you aren't going to use the space as a garage (vehicle parking/storage), then you may be OK. NFPA 211 is not law, it's a standard, but the provisions of it are widely adopted as law by local Authorities Having Jurisdiction. The source reference for you is your local Mechanical Building Code. Could be that where you live it's OK, or it may have to be a certain height above the floor. You'll want to run your plans by your homeowner's insurance provider as well.

If you then decide to proceed, then the stove you have in mind will do the job just fine. It's a nice little stove for an application like that. I have that stove in a ~17'x20' workshop with 10' ceiling, and it'll cook me right out of there if I let it. I highly recommend installing a ceiling fan, it makes a world of difference in destratifying and distributing the warmth from the stove. Rick

Attachments

• shoptemps1.jpg
    shoptemps1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 662
It's a good stove and your price isn't bad either.

What the above posters have said is true.

I added a few more fire bricks above the secondary tubes to keep more heat in the firebox and I used some kaowool to block off a few little cracks around the bricks.

I'm very happy with my stove.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.