Ceramic blanket Heritage 8024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whatyousmokin

Oct 10, 2021
Long story short, the "professionals" who cleaned our stove/chimney last spring didn't do such a bang-up job on catalyst reinstallation as I discovered when I went to vacuum the catalysts yesterday. I have performed this vacuuming maintenance a few times so knew what to anticipate. What I did not anticipate this time around (first vacuuming of catalysts this season after burning since early October) was both catalysts barely hanging in their respective cavities; it looked and felt like they had just been partially shoved into their slots and the gasketing was all bunched up behind them, both catalysts practically slid out on their own. I removed the bits and pieces of gasketing material, rewrapped the catalysts as best I could with what material I had and taped up with masking tape for reinstallation (new gasketing material is being ordered). As I was feeling around below where the catalysts are installed, I felt and pulled out pieces of what I believe are the mysterious ceramic blanket. The instruction manual does not show this part or have any instructions for replacement. What I have been able to surmise from a parts diagram that I was able to find on-line here: https://www.hearthstoneparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=8024 is that the blanket is item #22, part #3120-025. I will be getting a new one of these blankets, but my question is: where exactly does this blanket get placed?
Also attaching a photo of the parts diagram here.
I did reinstall the rewrapped catalysts and placed the bits and pieces of the blanket where I had found them and went ahead and burned last night. To me it felt like the stove was putting out heat similar to before all this, but the catalyst probe indicated higher operating temperature.; well within the operating range for the catalysts but just higher on the gauge. I wonder if the blanket should be resting directly under the location of the probe?

8024 SCHEMATIC WATERMARKEDzoom.png

Last edited:
You are not the first to have this issue and probably won't be the last. Here's a thread on the topic from last year.

After reading that thread I am still unsure exactly where that blanket is supposed to be placed on the rear baffle board. I guess I could call the place I ordered it from and see what they say about placement.