Ceramic Tile Cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trb157

Jul 12, 2006
Since there are so many hearth installers here, I wanted to ask what is the best way (not using a wet saw) to cut ceramic tile. I am installing a new kitchen floor and my friend, the home builder, said to just buy a blade for a circ. saw or hand grinder instead of forking out the cost of renting a wet saw for 3 days. I know I can do it that way since I only have striaght cuts to make. Is there any other way I am forgetting? Luckily I had no pieces to cut when I put my hearth pad down. Thanks for the advice

Cut the tile outside and use a fan to blow the dust the other way if you can't wet it.
I know you can buy a cheap wet saw at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $50 and that is about 1 day rental at Taylor rental.
Despite what others may say you can buy great quality material and tools at Lowe's and Home Depot. You just have to willing to spnd the extra bucks for the good stuff.

I'm another one for the wet saw from the box stores. The rental store was $25.oo a day for the wet saw at the box stores for $50. or so. I had bought a dry blade and it cut but chiped the he(( out of the tile. I used an angle grinder to cut a small cut and it chipped it too. BTW , Why no wet saw option are you asking for?

I'll check out Lowe's. I got a deal on the tile at .62 per tile when our old Lowe's was closing so my cost is pretty low. I know out wet saw rentals are around 30.00 per day so that's why I eliminated them in search of a dry blade. I'll see what they cost to buy. Thanks

for straight cuts I use a hand cutter. it has two parallel bars that a cutting blade runs down and a long handle attached for leaverage. you score the tile with the cutting blade and then turning the handle 180 degree, a small pad pushes the tile down and snaps it. I think it costs about $20.00 and works great for tiles over 4".

trb157 said:
Any idea where I can get this. Is it sold on the web?

Get it at Lowe's or Home Depot or your local hardware.
You can buy hand held cutter as well.
You might want to freshen a bit on working with tile at one of the many tile sites on the web.
But like I said before get the cheap water saw and go slow with it , I think you wll be really happy.

I built a jig out of some plywood and scrap lumber so that I could cut tile with a circular saw fitted with a masonry cutting blade when I laid a floor down in our laundry room. It worked fine, but it does kick out a lot of dust, as mentioned. If I had to cut a lot of tile, I'd go out and spend $100 on a wet saw. For what you save doing the work yourself, that's still a heck of a deal.

The only way to cut tile and keep your sanity is with a WET SAW

They are cheap enough that it borders on ridiculous.
I have solid porcelin tile that I have done two jobs on and the saw blade still has life for another two or three jobs

I think this is the time to stock up on remarkably inexpensive, quality tools.

I'd third the cheap wet saw from Lowes or Home Cheapo. Jobs always take longer than you think, so the saw more than pays for itself in the first use if renting one is any more than about 40 bucks a day. I've used my 79 dollar wet saw for two reasonable sized jobs (500 square feet and 150 square feet), and it's still going well. I just checked and it was from HD and it's currently 88 bucks. Just search wet saw at their home page.

BTW, I strongly second the wet saw approach. I tried the scoring tool...it might work for smooth, slick "50's style" ceramic or maybe granite, but my experience is that if there is any texture to the tile they will not snap where they are supposed to. The wet saw also lets you kerf cut and nibble out rounds, and of course makes no dust-rather a wet mess that likes to spray if you aren't careful. TRB, when are you starting your project? I have one of the Lowes wet saws I will probably sell cheap, I bought one of the bigger Harbor Freight saws for some new projects, I just want to see if it works adequately before I commit, should know by the weekend. The only problem with the base HD/Lowes saw is the small table size, not the handiest for larger tile, I wouldn't want to use it for any larger than 12 x 12, and it takes a bit of messing with there, but not much.

Bri

I had hope to start Friday, but I won't need the saw until Saturday. Not sure if I can order one by then. My local Lowe's does not carry a wet saw on hand.

During my project I went to Home Depot asking about renting a saw, and they practically insisted that I don't rent a saw, and that I ask them to cut the tile in their tile department. They have a nice wet saw there. I told them I didn't purchase the tile there and they still insisted. Seriously, seriously insisted. O.k. I probably had them cut 20 peices of tile, and they did so with a smile.

So their ploy worked. I bought my "mastic" (concrete based) backer board, and grout from them just because they were so helpful. I do like to reward that kind of behavior. I also told the store manager how good his policy was and that I'd be sure to let people know.

Status
Not open for further replies.