Chain Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not arguing, I see many people more experienced than me doing it this way. But I've always favored just swapping to a new chain, throwing the rocked or dulled one into a box, and processing it in my warm shop on some cold evening, versus spending time in the field fretting with it.

There are worse ways to spend a Tuesday night, than sitting at the grinder with a cup of coffee to one side, and a good podcast going thru the ear buds, plucking your way thru last month's chains.
That is absolutely how I do it as well. Yes I can sharpen by hand but why?

Reactions: Ashful
What are you hitting with the chain? Great God, its not that hard to keep it out of the dirt, if cutting wood only a quick pass is all that's needed with the file, maybe twice a day
I have found all sorts of metal in trees. Even in the woods. Most of our woods here was pasture at one point or another so it's really common to find Imbedded metal

Maybe some day you will learn, start at the top of the tree and work down the trunk, and another item, how far up are metal objects? Everywhere?, it sounds like you are in hedgerows, i.e., fencelines, not full on logging, where man meets the woods
Yes, lots of hedgerows and yard trees, I’m not logging, just cutting for firewood for myself and a friend. We live in a wooded area, and it seems power and phone companies used to lag into front yard trees to run wiring from street to house.

I’m also not processing on site. I lop the trunk into 15 foot lengths and drag onto my trailer, then stack logs at home. That stack may sit a year at home before processing, so by then orientation of what was top-down is forgotten.

Also, I’m not implying I hit insulators or bolts on an hourly rate, but it happens occasionally. More often I’m just swapping chains because it’s getting less sharp from use, and I just don’t want to spend any of my limited daylight time sharpening. If I always used a file it might be less of an issue, but swapping from grinder to file usually means more than just one or two swipes to get it sharp, as the grinder leaves a different profile.

Reactions: bholler
Maybe some day you will learn, start at the top of the tree and work down the trunk, and another item, how far up are metal objects? Everywhere?, it sounds like you are in hedgerows, i.e., fencelines, not full on logging, where man meets the woods
I don't understand what starting at the top will change. If there is metal there it doesn't matter where you start.

So, don't go to a grinder!, I mean this, at no time do you kill a whole chain, if you stop when the problem happens, it's easy squezy, lemon pleasey, lift off when you see Sparks, sharpen, cut another cord

So, don't go to a grinder!, I mean this, at no time do you kill a whole chain, if you stop when the problem happens, it's easy squezy, lemon pleasey, lift off when you see Sparks, sharpen, cut another cord
If you don't like grinders fine. I do as do many others. I don't see why it bothers you if I prefer to swap chains and sharpen with a grinder.

Oops I missed it, starting at the top usually insures you a cord delivery before noon, unless you captains of industry have a better plan for lunch
Why would I care about delivering a cord before noon? I am simply cutting my 3 to 4 cords a year. I am going to cut the whole thing regardless. Now yes most of the time I do start at the top because that simply makes the most sense and is safest but not always.

I’ve never seen sparks when I have a long bar buried in wood and manage to hit something. If the metal was on my side of the log, I guess it might throw sparks, but then I’d probably see it before hitting it. It’s the stuff buried inside, or on the far side of the log where I just fail to see it, that always gets me. Besides, I’m not sure how good a chain would be after making sparks, even if I did see them.

But I’m not sure why you have such a problem with someone who prefers a grinder? To each their own, I found a system that works for me.

Once again, you guys complained about the employees of hardware stores, saying it takes away many more sharpening, ok learn to do it yourself, in the field, that's all, there is a lot of sensitivity here for a new guy, why did I get a scolding from a mod?
I didn't ever complain about hardware store employees. Yes grinding takes off more material. Yes I will get a few less sharpenings per chain. I am fine with that

I have buggered whole chains by hitting stuff. It doesn't take long. I have hit railroad ties, birdhouses, fencing, rebar, concrete, rocks, nails, bolts, squirrels, mice, and a host of other stuff. I get more sparks from the wood than the objects in the wood when cutting ironwood. It looks like an angle grinder when cutting that stuff in the dark.

I swap chains and sharpen at home. My chains are always sharp and ready to go. I know guys who file in the woods and their chains are mostly dull and uneven.

Reactions: bholler
Yes, leaving to go deliver a load of wood, a cord was on my truck, and the customer called and stopped it, aw, great, leaf springs are getting hurt tonight, then the call came, delivery tonight, shew,.

Is there anybody here that cuts firewood for a living?
I certainly don't. If I ever did expand our chimney business into that it would be with log loads and a processor. Atleast in this area at what firewood sells for here I don't see any other way to make a decent profit

Last edited:
You said the secret ingredient, to make a decent profit, sharpen the chain on the saw and get back to work, that's all I was saying, there are no quick fixes in the woods
Swapping chains gives me a chance to clean out the bar groove and oil holes. I run ported saws and when I cut wood, it gets cut fast. When the saw gets set down, I need a break, and that means fuel, oil, and a chain, and then back to it again. It doesn't take me long to cut a full cord, and a chain swap takes a few minutes.

You said the secret ingredient, to make a decent profit, sharpen the chain on the saw and get back to work, that's all I was saying, there are no quick fixes in the woods
No need arguing about what was said. It's water under the bridge.

No profit here, just maximizing use of limited daylight hours on a Saturday.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson