Chain Oil Container

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
I was out in the shed tonight getting the saws ready for tomorrow. Chains sharpened and tanks full. But, I discovered a mess. The Stihl bar oil gallon jug had a hole in it. That's the second one this year. It's not a bottle manufacturing flaw because both holes are in different places. I think what's going on here is my carelessness tossing the jug in with the firewood on real cold days which is hard on the plastic. So, I've decided to feed the saw from one of those gearlube oil quart containers. I'll just fill it for taking into the field. Plus it'll be easier filling the saw out of that container.

Sounds like itd work good for filling. But isn't that just the same plastic in a different type container?

Dish washing soap bottle works great and you dont loose the cover .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds like itd work good for filling. But isn't that just the same plastic in a different type container?
Yes but then all the eggs aren't in the basket.

Milk crates are the perfect size for a jug of oil , small gas can , and ammo box for tools. Protects your gear and keeps it all together .

Different container,,, same careless habit? I have never poked a hole in one, you must throw hard!

I use the gear oil bottle method. I also have a milk crate that I put the bottle in along with a small gas can, hatchet and extra wedges.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Milk crates are the perfect size for a jug of oil , small gas can , and ammo box for tools. Protects your gear and keeps it all together .
+1

I use an old cranberry juice container..with my saw I have to mix chain oil and motor oil to get the right consistency and the wide mouth of the container makes it easy for me to make my 50-50 mixture.

I did have one get a hole this year. However, that particular container had been re-used many, many times. Although I no longer work in the woods, a friend did until just a couple years ago. When loggers cut, they simply throw the can away when empty. My friend did as we do. He gathered the "empty" cans and drained what was left into another container. Soon he would have one filled. Then another and another. He to more than he needed and gave me however many cans I would want at a time. Saved both of us a lot of dollars.

At one time I had a quart plastic bottle that came with gear oil in. When it was empty, I began using that for filling the chain saw and it worked really swell. But there are many plastic bottles in the household that one could use.

How about an extra large plastic bottle from shampoo. They are more pliable because they are made to be squeezed over and over. They have the lil flip top cap AND it twists off for easy filling.

...and I thought I was so smart to think of using and empty gear oil container a few years ago. Maybe we are smart?

Empty pancake syrup bottle with flip open lid and nice squirt spout.

Water bottle in da milk crate..im mainly a scrounger so i carry my saw with me all the time...and i fill it up after i use it but jus in case...never ran out of gas or oil filling up the back of my pathfinder;)....but the 290 does go thru the fuel...:)

Use a gallon container from Arizona Ice Tea. They are great heavy duty plastic jugs. Don't know why they use such nice containers.

Last few years I've been using the gear lube container for bar oil too. Haven't spilled a drop since using it.

"Dolmar" fuel containers work the best for me . Gas on one side oil on the other. 1.5 gal fuel and .5 gal oil is what I think they hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.