Chain oil synthetic oil mix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
So my wife has a newer car than mine. I change her oil, which is synthetic. Wondering if I can use her used oil for somethin? Anybody know if it would mix well with chain oil. I have a hard time spending ridiculous money on pure chain oil to spray on my yard.

It'll work okay. Bar oil has additives that makes it tackier so it sticks to the bar/chain better but I've used motor oil before and it worked fine

I have used conventional oil in the past with chain oil. Just wasn't sure on the synthetic mix.

Ahh okay. I've not used synthetic personally but I can't imagine it would make a difference. Might even be better

You can get synthetic chain oil if that helps.

I use my waste oil for greasing my splitter

Waste oil is full a gasoline blow by from cold starts,, something to think about. Oil doesn't just get dirty! Metal wears in a motor as well.. so there has to be some filings in there as well.. Magnetic oil drain plugs? I wouldn't run it in my saw.. but you do what you have to do. I've ran Amsoils synthetic bar oil, works great..

!!!NEVER!!!!NEVER!!!!NEVER! Seriously dude, do a search on it. "ridiculous money on pure chain oil to spray on my yard" Your sig doesn't show your saw, but when you look at the price of a new saw oil is cheap, and I know I would feel better spraying a known carcinogen on my yard.

How would running dirty bar oil ruin a saw? I've done it before when I've run out. I most of the time use canola for just the reason the OP states.
What am I missing?

How would running dirty bar oil ruin a saw? I've done it before when I've run out. I most of the time use canola for just the reason the OP states.
What am I missing?
Crud aka sludge can plug up you pump, and no matter what anyone tells me used motor oil will not cling and provide adequate lubrication to your bar and chain.

Reactions: nate379
Yep, crud and it takes on toxins (lead, arsenic, zinc, et al.). Not for me or my land. I'd use canola oil before used motor oil.

Hows about palm oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.