Chain question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
You'd keep sawing with this, right?
Damaged:
cef1af41.jpg

Good:
4084809e.jpg

I'm not used to minor damage, I'm used to knocking about two off at a time, lol

I would. Got one chain missing the whole top, but very rarely need it.

Oh heck yeh. Plenty of room to clean that up.

+1 Grind 'er back in shape! Rusty or just dirty? Looks like it could use a soak.

I've seen much worse.Plenty of life left in that chain.

Thanks guys. I did just what you recommended.

MM, it is a little rusty. I can't remember how it got hat way. I think the used chain bucket sat outside for a couple of days before I saw it and took it into the shed. Happened quite a while ago, so I just can't recall with certainty. Seems to be just surface, so I'll just run it like it is.

Looks like some teeth could use root-canals and crowns. :bug:

CTYank said:
Looks like some teeth could use root-canals and crowns. :bug:
FWIW, that one damaged tooth is the only one. This is the oldest of my four chains that I swap out on the Stihl.

I hit what I thought must be a nail while bucking up a big water oak trunk this summer. No real damaged but it sure dulled up the chain. I usually hand sharpen but I took this to my local Stihl shop and let them do it. Months later I finally had that wood on my splitter. I found a bunch of barbed wire through out the wood as I split it. The wire was buried about halfway into the 30 inch trunk so it had been there a long time. It's amazing that I only hit wire once while bucking it up.

I learned how the tell tale "blue ink" stain in the wood indicates that there is metal embedded somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.