Chain saw runs great - won't cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I replaced chains dozens of times, I always eyeball the chain first before I take it off.

Putting the chain on backwards is the current-day equivalent of lighting the filter on your cigarette (back when everyone smoked). We've all done it...

I recall doing that a few years ago was getting tired after a long day and put on a fresh chain. Took me about 15 minutes before I realized the chain was back wards. Best way I found to make sure is looking down from the top of the saw the points should face toward the tip of the saw. Don't worry if it ever happens again you will realize it quickly.

DanCorcoran said:
We've all done it...
At one time, we weren't allowed to smoke tailor made cigs in the bush... had to be roll-your-owns. I may have lit the filter more than once but I have never put a chain on backwards.

Finished getting the wood done for the next couple years a few days ago, then took bar & chain off. Cleaned everything up, got the small ridge off the bar, then flipped it. Put the chain on, tensioned it, then put it away w/o using it.
Now, I'm starting to think the chain may be on backward. Just had to plant that seed of doubt, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.