Chain sharpening guide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
I have been looking to upgrade my guide kit. I went cheap the first round and it's now biting me in the ass. Since there is nothing but a wealth of knowledge on the board would anyone recommend the Granberg file N joint 106, or Oregon 23736A Chain sharpening guide.

Or does someone have something else in mind? I am open to suggestions.

KC

the "stihl files" you can knock out chains quick any good guide bar will work

I bought my father a gizmo that looked like those but he still couldn't sharpen the chain. I think a very simple guide that slips over the file like the Stihl filing kit would be all you'd need until you get the knack of doing it freehand.

I liked the Stihl guide when you learning to file. It is very user friendly.

I got the type you clamp to your bar and file to teach myself at what angle & pitch to file. Now I just do it free hand..

I've used mostly the Oregon ones that clip to the file with a spring clip.
Different saw, different chain pitch, bought the Stihl version. Thought it would be tighter on the file with the alum nut and the bent wire thing. I don't like it, the cast aluminum and wire dig into my fingers and cause sore spots. Longer bars, lots of teeth to file, and several saws. Tried some duct tape around it, not solved. So I bought a couple more Oregon type.

Had the one that attaches to bar but too slow, especially in the field. I touch up every couple tanks or so.

they are cheap, try some, personal preference.

kcj

I have a 30 year old Granville File n Guide which I never use because it is a PITA to set up. The Oregon looks like it would also be the same kind of PITA but, in fairness, I have never used it. All my "touch up" filing in the field is done freehand. However, once in a while in the field or shop I use the Stihl file guide which comes with the file attached. This guide helps me to be certain the angles are correct, etc. It is made in Sweden.

I use a 7.62 NATO ammo box as my field chain saw tool box and this guide fits in there very nicely with the other tools. These boxes are weatherproof and very rugged. Paint it it pink, orange, yellow, etc. to be certain you do not loose it or run it over with your vehicle.

John_M

I use one of the plastic file holders (I think made by Husky?) that has a 25* angle on one face, and a 30* angle on the other as a confirmation that I'm doing the right angle (the appropriate face should hit the bar square at the end of each stroke) otherwise I do free-hand. Haven't seen a holder yet that looked like it would do anything other than slow me down...

Gooserider

main advantage to the holder is not the angle as viewed from above the chain (25-30-35) but it sets the depth of the file. This depth determines the cutting angle of the chisel as viewed from the side. Too deep, or file too small, and the angle is shallower. tooth edge gets under the chip and cuts better, but dulls quicker. Larger file and higher in the tooth, the cutting edge would be approaching 90 degrees like a bulldozer blade. Like all the other factors, compromises for the intended purposes.
Many like freehand, I just prefer the depth control. doesn't take any more time, just more bulk to store.

k

here's one made for .325 chisel chain.(works good too)
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325034.jpg
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325037.jpg
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325035.jpg
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325013.jpg

and the two different files to choose from.
it's for 20-21-22 LP oregon series saw chain.

fyrwoodguy said:
here's one made for .325 chisel chain.(works good too)
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325034.jpg
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325037.jpg
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325035.jpg
th_ATOPFILEGUIDE325013.jpg

and the two different files to choose from.
it's for 20-21-22 LP oregon series saw chain.

Neat setup, but that's for "square ground" chain - which some folks like, but many of us regard as somewhat overkill (and which many say is harder to file freehand as there are more angles to worry about) If I recall the threads about that setup, it also costs a considerable peice of change... (Not to mention using more expensive files)

I think I will stick to my freehand and "round filed" chisel chain - far easier!

Gooserider

got one of those husky file guides i run husky saw and stihl chain and it wouldnt fit on the chain i filed the little grooves still wouldnt fit i took it back

I picked up one to these file guides on eBay for about $20, very similar to the Granberg one.
I like it, works quite well. BTW Baileys had something similar on sale for $9.95

Attachments

• 9edd_1.JPG
    9edd_1.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 331
Status
Not open for further replies.