Chain sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use a Stihl FG2 for my precision sharpening. I also use a veneer caliper to keep all the cutters within 10 thou of each other. Flat file the rakers and clean up the gullets and the end result is a crazy sharp chain that eats and holds its edge for quite awhile. Much longer than I could ever achieve filing by hand. I will run a file through a chain in the field when fueling up but that’s like a swipe or two on each cutter. If I hand file to much the cutters come back all different lengths and it’s time consuming to get them back to a common length. May seem excessive but it gives me an excuse to hang out in the barn with the old Fisher. Plus the end result is a chain that’s better than out of the box.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I seem to be messing up my chain with my 2-in-1, but I didn't realize it until I noticed it. I'm going to keep with it for now, and pay closer attention and compensate if need be, at least for the rest of this season, then see where I stand.
You could get an inexpensive pair of dial calipers or some kind of micrometer to make sure you are applying even pressure and keeping the cutters at the same length.

Reactions: MoDoug
I don't really even sharpen knives free hand anymore. The results when using some kind of fixed angle or guided sharpening system are far superior.

I have to admit . . . I ended up buying a cheap electric grinder, but rarely use it. Instead I free hand file when needed, but mostly I bring it to the local Amish chainsaw shop as they are wicked cheap and do a much better job than I ever could do.

Reactions: SpaceBus
curious if you use the file-n-joint to do your depth gauges, or if you only utilize it on the cutters? i know it can do the depth gauges, but i've never used it that way.
Like Spacebus said, I use a separate raker guide and flat file

An interesting perspective on saw chain function and sharpening:

Screenshot_20201227-182713~2.png