Chain sharpness, out of the box.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Nothing like a full chisel chain out of the box. Stihl RS (yellow label). However, no matter how I file, it seems I can never get it like it was out of the box sharp. Any tips?

Reactions: Allagash350
You can get close but nothing equals what the factory puts out...bench grinder comes closest...followed by hand filing.I don't care how good you think you are hand filing you will never equal a new chain sharpness.The Simington will get it done.

http://simingtonchaingrinder.com

Last edited:
Nothing like a full chisel chain out of the box. Stihl RS (yellow label). However, no matter how I file, it seems I can never get it like it was out of the box sharp. Any tips?

Been mentioned before, but the Stihl 2 in 1 file can achieve factory sharpness. I make great big piles of long linguine noodles with my chains after using my 2 in 1.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy

Yes the 2 in1 !
upload_2018-1-9_6-17-52.jpeg

You can get close but nothing equals what the factory puts out...bench grinder comes closest...followed by hand filing.I don't care how good you think you are hand filing you will never equal a new chain sharpness.The Simington will get it done.

http://simingtonchaingrinder.com
Hi I respectively disagree with your statement.
Once you know what the chain does,hand filing will take it beyond factory or grinder sharpness.
There is a reason chainsaw racers don't let others watch them sharpen or see their chains.
There are hours spent getting a chain ready for racing,and cost mega bucks if you can find someone who will sell their race chains.You will never win a race with a factory chain,or a chain just sharpened on a grinder.
I feel confident enough in my sharpening that the only time i use the grinders are for fixing other peoples chain,or when i pickup chains at the dump.
New chains are good,ground chains are not bad totally dependent on the grinder operator.Someone that knows nothing about chains will destroy one on a grinder.
The best cutting chain will be one that is sharpened by someone who knows how to sharpen a chain.There is more to it than just sharpening.You have to know how to set the rakers as well,without doing anything to them your chain is doomed.

i really need to actually use the 2n1 that I just bought.... i have the anti-midas touch when it comes to chains. I look at them and they decide not to cut

I disagree. I actually take a file to a brand new chain to clean up the edges from being bounced around the box and to get the depth gauges at the depths I like them at for my ported saws.

Stihl's 2:1 is actually made by Pferd, just painted orange. http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

Stihl's files are also Pferd. I prefer Save Edge files.

May be able to find them cheaper by keeping Stihl's name off of it.

Reactions: TreePointer
I disagree. I actually take a file to a brand new chain to clean up the edges from being bounced around the box and to get the depth gauges at the depths I like them at for my ported saws.

Stihl's 2:1 is actually made by Pferd, just painted orange. http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

Stihl's files are also Pferd. I prefer Save Edge files.

May be able to find them cheaper by keeping Stihl's name off of it.

Yup, Pferd won several awards with the 2 in 1 when they first designed it. I had read about them when they were first introduced in a trade article several years ago, but wasn't able to get my hands on one locally, or even online when I tried then. And, they weren't cheaper than what my dealer sells them for through Stihl, just the opposite, they were pricier, at least around here.

I have no loyalty to Stihl on these, and I don't care if they're blue and white or orange and white, I just know they're easy to use, and with a little bit of attention to detail, they're the best sharpener I've used.

Yup, Pferd won several awards with the 2 in 1 when they first designed it. I had read about them when they were first introduced in a trade article several years ago, but wasn't able to get my hands on one locally, or even online when I tried then. And, they weren't cheaper than what my dealer sells them for through Stihl, just the opposite, they were pricier, at least around here.

I have no loyalty to Stihl on these, and I don't care if they're blue and white or orange and white, I just know they're easy to use, and with a little bit of attention to detail, they're the best sharpener I've used.

A co-worker's dad loves his Stilh/Pferd 2 in1. I just use one of those small Husky ones which has the swing out depth gauge guide along with Save Edge files. I may have to give the 2 in 1 a try. Thing is, I have three different file sizes due to my different size saws.

Full chisel is a square ground cutter...you can not achieve the same level of sharpness with a round file
Hi I respectively disagree with your statement.
Once you know what the chain does,hand filing will take it beyond factory or grinder sharpness.
There is a reason chainsaw racers don't let others watch them sharpen or see their chains.
There are hours spent getting a chain ready for racing,and cost mega bucks if you can find someone who will sell their race chains.You will never win a race with a factory chain,or a chain just sharpened on a grinder.
I feel confident enough in my sharpening that the only time i use the grinders are for fixing other peoples chain,or when i pickup chains at the dump.
New chains are good,ground chains are not bad totally dependent on the grinder operator.Someone that knows nothing about chains will destroy one on a grinder.
The best cutting chain will be one that is sharpened by someone who knows how to sharpen a chain.There is more to it than just sharpening.You have to know how to set the rakers as well,without doing anything to them your chain is doomed.
Most people are not capable of taking a round file to a factory square ground cutter with out turning it into a semi-chisel chain in a hurry! Ask me how I know that one...lol I have hand filed chains for a long time...doesnt mean I know it all by any means but I have never been able to achieve or exceed a factory chains sharpness....I have screwed up my fair share trying to learn....enlighten me on how this is done as I am willing to learn!

I'm with others who state that hand filing seems to get them sharper than new from the factory.

Full chisel is a square ground cutter...you can not achieve the same level of sharpness with a round file

Most people are not capable of taking a round file to a factory square ground cutter with out turning it into a semi-chisel chain in a hurry! Ask me how I know that one...lol I have hand filed chains for a long time...doesnt mean I know it all by any means but I have never been able to achieve or exceed a factory chains sharpness....I have screwed up my fair share trying to learn....enlighten me on how this is done as I am willing to learn!

Square filing is no different.If you know what you are doing you will do better than factory and grinders.
Practice practice once you know how. I don't square file.I haven't had the time to learn,or a reason to learn.There are only soft woods where i live.
My round hand filing works great for our softwoods.
The difference a full chisel and a semi chisel is the tooth itself not how it is filed.I believe you can only square file full chisel chain.Semi chisel chain has a rounded profile on the side of the cutter.

Reactions: Dairyman

To make a faster round filed chain just run the file lower.

There are both square grind and round ground full chisel cutters. The difference in full vs semi chisel is the outside profile of the cutter not the inside.

I do like the way a fresh RS chain cuts out of the box and would never touch one prior to a couple tanks of gas. What i understand of racing chain is that clearing chips is just as important as cutting them.

i just did a little test to see which chain is sharper (well, i did the sharpening anyway, i will do the cutting eventually :), i guess).

I used my grinding wheel on 1 chain (followed by straight file/raker gauge)
i used my regular round file followed by straight file & raker gauge on another
and the 2n1 on a third.

All three chains were pretty bad, but even without cutting, it looked like the 2n1 made the most consistent cuts, and got the rakers down better.

hopefully the 2n1 does as great as I think it will, and then i can get longer than 4 seconds on a cut :)

4 seconds on a cut :)

4 seconds of sharp chain:eek: what chain are you running? I have started going back to semi-chisel for bucking since it stays sharper a little longer for me. I still prefer full-chisel for felling. I don't like my rakers real low on the full-chisel since plunge cuts are somewhat common here with leaners and double stems, and grabby chain is no fun to plunge with on a 70cc saw.

Keep us posted on your findings.

4 seconds of sharp chain:eek: what chain are you running? I have started going back to semi-chisel for bucking since it stays sharper a little longer for me. I still prefer full-chisel for felling. I don't like my rakers real low on the full-chisel since plunge cuts are somewhat common here with leaners and double stems, and grabby chain is no fun to plunge with on a 70cc saw.

Keep us posted on your findings.
I might have been exaggerating the 4 seconds, but it seems quick.

I watch Wranglerstar on YouTube often. He seems to believe not many can sharpen like this grinder. I just bought one and am looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have always liked the Granberg, good system.