Chainsaw for private use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've never used the m-tronic so I couldn't tell you, however I'm sure other folks will reply with their experience.

Worth buying with m-tronic?
If both are available to you I would skip the m-tronic....more expensive to repair as it is a on board microprocessor which costs more to replace than a carb....I have 3 Pro 260s(Yeah i like them! lol)....2 are pre epa and the one is the m-tronic....never had a issue with any of them...quicker throttle response with the m-tronic is the only difference I see and its a small difference thats barely noticable to me.

I checked online for local retail prices:
  • Stihl MS 261 CM - $580 --> 50 cc pro grade saw at 10.8 lb. w/ M-Tronic
  • Husqvarna 565 - $900 --> 70 cc farm grade saw at 14.3 lb. w/ Auto-Tune
Someone is selling 565 for about same price as 261 ?
Different saws - not apples:apples, but it would seem that the 565 would be a good vale at 261 price.
Both Stihl & Husky are great saws. At some point it comes down to what will work best for your needs.

Reactions: JimBear
Consider the diameter of typical wood you'll be cutting. Use the shortest bar practical for your needs (good for 85% your cutting).
If cutting for full time wood heating I'd consider 50 cc as a minimum (16"is good bar length match, with 18" bar a max). You can always buy a longer bar to use when needed. But longer bar = more drag.
I've used both manual carb and electronic governed (M-Tronic or Auto-Tune), which are typically offered on pro saw (non-homeowner) line. These have noticeably better throttle response. I'm partial to pro line saws if you can afford/ justify.
Thank you for the reasonable post, unlike others who randomly start talking about milling saws...

Reactions: sloeffle
Something to consider between those two is weight. I consider myself a fairly fit person, but cutting a load with my Jonsered that weights 14 pounds tires me out more than cutting a load with my Stihl 250 that weighs 10.8. Some folks don't care about that, but the lighter saw is easier to manage over a longer period of time. Either way, post up some pics of the new saw when you get it.

A 565 is quite a bit bigger than the 543xp and 545 you started off looking at.

What size and how much wood do you plan on cutting? I'd have a hard time justifying a 70cc 565 as a firewood saw.

Something to consider between those two is weight. I consider myself a fairly fit person, but cutting a load with my Jonsered that weights 14 pounds tires me out more than cutting a load with my Stihl 250 that weighs 10.8. Some folks don't care about that, but the lighter saw is easier to manage over a longer period of time. Either way, post up some pics of the new saw when you get it.
No problem for me to use tools with weight ~22pounds.
As a result I bought husky 565 for 800$ when 261 i could got for 780$. I also bought 2nd chain chisel and 1l of oil.
After few first cuts i can say it's absolute beast.
20200601_123847.jpg

20200601_123818.jpg

20200601_124352.jpg

Reactions: JimBear
Reactions: JimBear and Gouran
I think the MS261 would fit your needs well.
I'll throw another vote for the 261
I think the MS261 would fit your needs well.
I'll throw another vote in for the 261. I have a 261 and a 362 and I grab the 261 almost all of the time. The thing cuts! I cut a mix of hard and soft woods--probably 7-8 cords a year. I can cut an 18 inch tree or more with no difficulty, but the saw is light enough to limb a tree without much fatigue. I don't have the mtronic version. I estimate that I have cut about 50 cords with the saw and outside of routine maintenance (clean bar, filter, new plug, etc.) the saw has not needed anything.

Reactions: Zack R and JimBear