Chainsaw Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement and the safety tips. I do always wear eye protection and steel toed boots (although no boots in this video since it was a demo... I know an excuse). I don't wear gloves, ear protection or chaps... sounds like I need to upgrade my safety gear.

I was going to ask - "Do I really need chaps?" Then I figured, that's probably been asked on hearth.com before... did a quick search. Looks like I need chaps.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I was going to ask - "Do I really need chaps?" Then I figured, that's probably been asked on hearth.com before... did a quick search. Looks like I need chaps.

They're YOUR legs, you be the judge.

They're YOUR legs, you be the judge.

It sounds like you're suggesting doing research on hearth.com was a bad idea? That I should have simply made a decision based on MY current knowledge, since they are MY legs? If you're advocating making a decision without doing any research, that's not my style. I prefer informed decisions. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am not saying research is bad by any means. What I was saying is they are your legs, I KNOW that I wear chaps to protect MY legs. Years ago when I worked at the tree company chaps were just coming out. One of the manufactures ( I think Lebanon) gave a demonstration that made believers out of us. They took a new pair, stuffed a log in leg and hit it with a saw running full out. It took 3 hits full throttle before getting through. The reason it made it through was that after the first 2 times the saw had pulled enough fibers out to let it get through on the third try, and then it just barely got through before jamming the chain.

Any chaps are better than no chaps.

I am not saying research is bad by any means. What I was saying is they are your legs, I KNOW that I wear chaps to protect MY legs. Years ago when I worked at the tree company chaps were just coming out. One of the manufactures ( I think Lebanon) gave a demonstration that made believers out of us. They took a new pair, stuffed a log in leg and hit it with a saw running full out. It took 3 hits full throttle before getting through. The reason it made it through was that after the first 2 times the saw had pulled enough fibers out to let it get through on the third try, and then it just barely got through before jamming the chain.

Any chaps are better than no chaps.
I've employed at least four separate tree cutting companies over the years. Not one individual on any of the crews wore chaps.

My neighbor bought chaps to cut up one smallish tree that fell, before he got scared of the saw and has never fired it up since.

If I'm a logger or cut dozens of cords each year I'll wear chaps. Otherwise, I'll just use a saw and chains that I can handle, and put it away if I'm exhausted or drunk, and operate it with the appropriate level of care.

Eyes and ears cannot be protected without safety gear. Legs can.

Sure they didn't have saw pants on?
Good point, some may have. In fact, now that I think about it, the most recent crew had a bookish temp helper who was a college student, and he had on full logger regalia. He probably had saw pants on.

I'm not against it, just think an occasional careful cutter can keep the chain off his legs.

And, believe me when I tell you that I'm terrified of the saws, it's just that there's work that needs doing.

I pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to do any work without saw pants on. Around here the labor & compensation people would be all over the company and fines would be flying left & right.

You guys are awesome. I’ve been busy and haven’t been able to check back in. I get on here just now and see nine replies. That is the awesomeness of the hearth.com community.

I probably won’t have the time to diagnose this until this weekend (prob Sat). It gets dark so darn early now. When I get the chance, I will get a video of me trying to cut wood with the saw. That will probably be the easiest way to communicate what is going on.

Man to man. We all have to know our technical abilities. We all have limitations.

It might be time to buy an entry level name brand saw like an Echo or Husky. My dad just picked up a small Echo saw for $120. Runs like a dream.

1 or 2 visits to the repair shop for your saw (likely worth <$50) and you could have a new problem free saw.

If I was you. Sell your problem saw on Craigslist for $30 and get a new trouble free saw.

...Saw your most recent post...and video. Glad you figured it out. Don't ever move a saw up towards your face man. Ever. You scared me a bit.

⬆️⬆️⬆️ What he said. I started out with a freebie Craftsman, gave me fits. I decided if I was going to be serious about processing firewood to heat my home with, I needed a better saw. That Xmas I got my first new saw, a Stihl Farm Boss 290. That was probably 8-10 saws ago, I currently have 5 that I use and a few for parts. It’s a sickness, it’s called CAD. Know it, embrace it, love it.

And remember, once your hearing goes you never get it back. I have tinnitus, doesn’t bother me unless it’s real quiet. Not sure I can solely blame it on chainsawing (probably many years of running heavy equiptment didn’t help ) but it didn’t help not wearing ear plugs. They’re cheap