chainsaw recomendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have to ask . . . none of the gas stations I go to here in Vegas have ethanol free gas except diesel fuel. So where do you find ethanol free gas for your saw (cuz I am presuming none of you have an electric saw) as someone above said was necessary?

I go to a country mark station about half hour away. There are a few additives such as star tron and we have one here called ethanol shield. But it's hard to find ethanol free gas anymore

Most just run pump gas, for this reason. You can buy canned e-free, but it's spendy. My local sae shop sells it, but only recommends it for saw storage, not daily use (due to the cost).

Okay, I have to ask . . . none of the gas stations I go to here in Vegas have ethanol free gas except diesel fuel. So where do you find ethanol free gas for your saw (cuz I am presuming none of you have an electric saw) as someone above said was necessary?
Looks like there are only 3 stations listed in Nevada that sell it. Could be more that aren't listed here:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NV

Personally, I never use the ethanol free gas. I've never had any problems with regular unleaded, which contains 10% ethanol here.

Reactions: Ashful
For those that DO have some stations that sell ethanol free nearby there is a website called pure-gas.org to show you where they are. There's also an app on my iPhone that shows me (I check just to make sure they haven't changed the gas on me!)

Musta been typing while you were posting ;)

I used to use it( regular pump gas) but noticed a difference in power when I switched to ethanol free gas, so I stayed with it

That 026 (the $250 one) is really clean looking. Talk them down a little and you'd really have something to brag about.

Not sure what the deal is with the handwritten badge, tho.

I use AvGas from my local municipal airport. Short of that I think you're stuck running ethanol. The Iowa corn farmers know what best for your saw anyway.

Ethanol gas is especially troublesome for watercraft engines, so also check for ethanol-free gasoline at stations where there is boating activity.

Are you looking to cut 18" max diameter wood? There are many smaller options if you are only looking to cut max of 18" wood, and it all depends how much patience you have. A small saw will do much more than most people think. Different factors like less fuel and oil consumption paired with a narrower kerf (channel made with saw cut) are some things to keep in mind. If it is between new and used, and you have the patience for a smaller saw, i'd consider it. You make less of a mess (if its in someone elses yard!), and there is less risk of malfunction (if you stick with a reputable brand). Let me say in closing, there is no worse saw than one that doesn't start-

You make less of a mess (if its in someone elses yard!), and there is less risk of malfunction (if you stick with a reputable brand).
You make a good argument for smaller saws, excepting this sentence. How does a smaller saw lower the risk of a malfunction? Also, the kerf width argument is weak, if even applicable.

Every state should do non etho gas in the premium grade like they do in Wisconsin for us that use it in small engines. And a few stations like Cennex sell regular non oxygenated up also also. Id like to see it all pure gas some day since its a near energy wash to make it and it inflates the cost of corn chips too! Lol

I used to use it( regular pump gas) but noticed a difference in power when I switched to ethanol free gas, so I stayed with it
It burns cooler and has less BTUs than gas and your mileage suffers some too. I'm sure that youve heard that it breaks down fast too so its not what you want in something that'll sit for any time.

You make a good argument for smaller saws, excepting this sentence. How does a smaller saw lower the risk of a malfunction? Also, the kerf width argument is weak, if even applicable.

Yea, i've heard different schools of thought on kerf, but it is my belief that the narrower the cut, the less work the saw has to do. To each his own though. Being someone who is looking for his first sawhe also might not be spoiled with the pace of a large saw, and appreciate the small saw for what it is. As far as the malfunction, I mean the difference between a $200 smaller new saw, or a larger $200 used saw-

As far as the malfunction, I mean the difference between a $200 smaller new saw, or a larger $200 used saw-
Ahhhh, I was struggling on that one, too. This makes perfect sense, now.

Of course, there is the argument that a little saw had to work harder to do the same amount of work, so might have advanced wear that a larger saw wouldn't. Of course it really depends on the saws we are talking about. I'll take my $99 Blue Max any day over a brand spanking new MS170. My only regret is that I didn't buy two of them. I don't have a lot of confidence in the lower end Stihls after having been inside of one. At least there are parts available, though.

Thanks for all the recommendations... sorry I've been busy working like a lunatic. Not internet time.... I called the only HD that does rentals around my area and they just sold 3 of their Mikita 6421's to one guy.

Is an ECHO CS-352 any good? I thought about offering this guy $150. I just need something to start up so I can begin harvesting my own wood since I have a few sources now.
http://westmd.craigslist.org/grd/4729525876.html

35cc as an only saw does seem weak. Echos are well respected, tho. Echo has CS-400 and CS-590.
If you want to go a less expensive route - a 42cc Poulan with a Lo-Pro 3/8" chain is $91 at vminnovations. PoulanPro 5020 is $140 - a respected saw if brand name doesn't deter you. I've been cutting 2-3 cords a year for 20 years with the red Craftsman. The 2 Poulans were non running when bought for $10 each. They only needed carb work and fuel lines.

Poulan Craftsman Poulan 42cc.jpg

I'm a fan of Echo OPE, but 35cc is just WAY too small to have as an only saw. If buying only one saw, mine would be 60 - 70 cc.

Echo pro equipment is dead reliable, and that's why a lot of our local landscapers buy only Echo. They're not generally at the forefront on performance (eg. power/weight ratio), though.

My local stihl dealer takes in trades and refurb them. You can grab a decent 290 for 150 bucks just about any day.
Nothing wrong with a farmboss 290 if you are not taking it to the races.

Go for atleast 50cc and get a 60 cc later, make it a pro model you won't regret it

Status
Not open for further replies.