Chainsaw Safety...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Happy Stacker

Jan 6, 2018
SW Ontario, Canada
chainsawsafety.jpg

Should have the trigger lock on full as well

Just doing a little manscaping.

To the tune of Give Peace a Chance...
All chaps are assless, or else they're just pants.

Technically you are correct blackmale. The term assless chaps is a local colloquialism we use here to describe the wearing of chaps with nothing underneath them. This style is often seen in the woods during the warmer cutting season as well as in the bars and clubs after a long day of cutting and bucking. It is somewhat of an oxymoron term since assless would seem to indicate no buttocks yet with this style you get full buttock exposure, and often more depending on your style. I hope this explanation clears up any confusion. :)

Reactions: Jazzberry
Those bars sound a little too MANLY for me...==c

I will say some of the local bars here are pretty rough. You’ve got to watch your butt and watch what you say. Some of these guys will ride you pretty hard if you give them an opening. Definitely a totesterone fueled atmosphere. Think biker bar but filled with a whole lot of Frenchman. Don’t take that the wrong way. I have nothing against Frenchman, my sister knew one once. Anywho during cutting season these local bars are the place to be after a hard day of cutting and bucking. Grab a cold one, relax and loosen up your chaps. Just make sure you watch your butt.

Technically you are correct blackmale. The term assless chaps is a local colloquialism we use here to describe the wearing of chaps with nothing underneath them. This style is often seen in the woods during the warmer cutting season as well as in the bars and clubs after a long day of cutting and bucking. It is somewhat of an oxymoron term since assless would seem to indicate no buttocks yet with this style you get full buttock exposure, and often more depending on your style. I hope this explanation clears up any confusion. :)

Personal experience ????

Reactions: Happy Stacker
Pretty vague question regarding experience. I do have a lot of experience with chain saws and associated PPE (personal protection equipment for those north of the Whitehead Bridge). I have also spent many an evening in some of roughest and toughest hell hole gin mills known to man, filled with loggers, stumpers, millers and Frenchmen. If you make the choice to enter one of these dens of desperadoes, you best know how to lace your chaps. So yes I do have a lot of field and life experience when it comes to all things outdoors, fashion and manliness. I will admit I am not very savvy at dealing with the local Frenchman contingent. They seem a little odd at times. When I was a child my Grandmother once told me, “Young Manly, the French are funny, they fight with their feet and fornicate with their face.” Now I don’t know this to be true nor do I mean to disparage French. I just don’t know the local populace all that well. But hey, I digress and I don’t want you to turn this thread into some kind of personal vendetta against an immigrant group that may look and talk funny, but are here to earn a living like everyone else. Be more tolerant, always wear your PPE and keep your chaps laced tight. Manly :)

.....Or his wife gave him an option.

DIY vasectomy

Reactions: Happy Stacker
It certainly cleared up my hunger for lunch!

It certainly cleared up my hunger for lunch!

I'm a little confused as to how chaps and lunch hunger are related. But then I confuse easily. One thing I will say, if you are going to have a large, and possibly rich lunch before cutting or bucking, I would suggest you go chaps only while working. It facilitates "breathing" and airing out if needed. If your lunch is particularly "rich", it may save you or your significant other from having to deal with some messy laundry. The assless chaps style does lend itself to convenience for particular personal hygiene situations. Whatever style you choose, do enjoy your lunch and cut safely. Manly :)

Reactions: Sailrmike
Assless here is lunch for black flies.

Reactions: johneh
Assless here is lunch for black flies.

That may be the case in your region. General wisdom here is the nuisance and biting insects are attracted by perfumes, colognes, soaps and other type deodorants. We find when in the woods long enough, these pesky insects will not bite once you no longer smell "attractive" to them. My posse and I have spent many a day deep in the woods cutting, bucking and monkeying with no ill effect from black flies, chiggers, mosquitoes or locals. The key is nothing with a perfume scent to it. Au natural only. It works. It's almost like they can't distinguish you from the ground they hatched from. Assless chaps during a black fly hatch is not an issue as long as you are of a natural musk. Don't make the mistake I made some years ago spraying on a cologne musk. My butt became ground zero for every fruit fly, worm and weasel that had a nose. Learned my lesson the hard way. Now we just like the bear in the woods. No flies on us. Manly :)

Reactions: Jazzberry
I don't think this guy is aiming for assless anyways. Looks like more of a crotchless aim to me. He may be French or possibly just in bad need of some jock itch cream.

This has degenerated. Timeout time.;em
However...............
Black flies ( and ticks ) will bite anything in this part of the northern world, musk, no musk, no shower, anything. They love flesh, rears included.
It is why most of the wood harvesting is done in winter.:ZZZ

This has degenerated. Timeout time.;em
However...............
Black flies ( and ticks ) will bite anything in this part of the northern world, musk, no musk, no shower, anything. They love flesh, rears included.
It is why most of the wood harvesting is done in winter.:ZZZ

I would concur this thread has digressed off topic. Certainly the disparaging of The French is uncalled for. They may be funny but that is no reason to make fun of them. As far as black flies and tick attraction, your mileage may vary. Our general experience has been if you repel people, you most likely will repel insects. The individual in the OPs photo is so dangerous it hurts. His PPE and lack thereof is all wrong. Since this thread seems to be focused on assless chaps, all I can say is he needs a good set in leather. There are so many styles now available there is no reason for him to be wearing this outdated camo style. A good set of safety chaps would do wonders to firm up his buttock area, improve his look and certainly make this operation safer and more stylish. He also is missing his safety glasses, with a helmut/shield being preferred. Safety and style do not have to be mutually exclusive. Lets keep on subject here.

Reactions: Cast Iron
Maybe buttocks are less attractive to black flies south of us. ::P

Maybe buttocks are less attractive to black flies south of us. ::P

Black Fly is a laymen term that can refer to different species of insectium in different regions; just as the fruit fly in your area may be a whole different animal than say the fruit fly in San Francisco. Here in central CT our black flies are much larger than the small tenacious nibblers of the northern wastelands. Our flies are much less aggressive and do not tolerate odoriferous organic stench very well. A good musky stench will repel these otherwise pesky pests for the most part. This is why you will often see, and smell, loggers in this area sporting stylish assless chaps while deep in the thicket cutting, bucking and performing other less acceptable activities. I would suspect if these same folks headed up your way in their chaps, they might very well get a good ass chewing and sent packing. I suppose it all depends on the flies in your area. Always be safe in the woods. Manly :)

Last edited: