Chainsaw Safety...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"Don need no 'diversity' " when harvesting in winter. Firewooding is normally done solo for safety, enjoyment being in woodlands, for efficiency.
Don want anyone around when felling.......any one.
No bugs, quiet felling onto snow cushion, less damage to ground getting the wood out. Need more ?
Don need no "club" except called Stihl--261, 009, 171, some odd electrics rarely used. My partners.
Do it in the woods with your Partner

Sounds kinda gay.

[QUOTE="OT_Ducati, post: 2268437, member: 20755"

"Don need no 'diversity' " when harvesting in winter. Firewooding is normally done solo for safety, enjoyment being in woodlands, for efficiency.
Don want anyone around when felling.......any one.
No bugs, quiet felling onto snow cushion, less damage to ground getting the wood out. Need more ?
Don need no "club" except called Stihl--261, 009, 171, some odd electrics rarely used. My partners.

Sounds kinda gay.

[QUOTE="OT_Ducati, post: 2268437, member: 20755"

Jizzberry and Ducci, you are just being mean to The Iron Guy. He has a right to dance to his own beat. In our region we are judgement free. When out in the woods cutting and stumping, anything goes. In the end everyone is a winner. Everyone gets a little man with big chain saw trophy. We too have loners like the iron guy. They tend to go off on their own and work their own tool. We find eventually they come back into the fold and embrace the diversity that is our wood cutters community. We embrace them and show them the ways of their folly. It is who we are. Along the way we never belittle or make fun of their funny ways. We nurture and cajole until the misfits see the light from between the trees. It's a beautiful thing. First and foremost is always safety. Keep your chaps tight. Manly :)

Reactions: Jazzberry
I am not sure why cutting alone would be safer. I have always been told the exact oposite. What happens if you get hurt?

Reactions: Ashful
I am not sure why cutting alone would be safer. I have always been told the exact oposite. What happens if you get hurt?

Exactly. I am often forced to cut alone, but I don’t like it. Always good to have someone nearby with a cell phone, in case things go wrong.

Senior members of this forum will remember one prior regular, an experienced cutter, who was paralyzed by a falling branch. Overhead dangers can often surprise you, even when you’re doing everything “right.”

Reactions: bholler
Exactly. I am often forced to cut alone, but I don’t like it. Always good to have someone nearby with a cell phone, in case things go wrong.

Senior members of this forum will remember one prior regular, an experienced cutter, who was paralyzed by a falling branch. Overhead dangers can often surprise you, even when you’re doing everything “right.”

Thread says - that depends on whether assless chaps were in play or not, and what is in your water bottle.

In much of our area a cell phone wont do any good. If i have to cut alone i always make sure that someone atleast knows where i am cutting and if i am not back in an hour or two they should check on me

However did I miss this highly educational gem of a thread?

==c

After seeing your post I did read all the back entries in this thread. You are correct. An awful lot of good safety, equipment, technique and style advice and suggestions. The contributors not only put forth their methodologies, but they do so in a way where you get a good feel for their regional flavor and style. It makes me feel closer to the wood cutting community. I have a sense of different PPE styles in different regions. I for one never realized how popular assless leather chaps are. I thought it was just a regional thing here. It seems Nutmegers are not the only wooders who go out styling in their chaps after a hard day in the woods. Good to see that manliness lives on. Maybe this thread should be a sticky?

N.B. No leather chaps in this world. Unless.......;hm;hm;hm
If you don't know Kevlar, don't cut.

N.B. No leather chaps in this world. Unless.......;hm;hm;hm
If you don't know Kevlar, don't cut.

I concur. Leather is OK for road rash protection, but little of use against a sharp chain. Problem I see in our area is style wins out over sense. Everyone and their wife wants to go assless in the summer. Head out into the thick woods in the heat of summer and you will see more cheeks than a toilet seat. I have am perfectly happy using a standard pair of Husky strap on chaps sans anything underneath. Style and safety. Who said you can't have your cake and digest it to. This trend is catching on, making our woods a safer and more diverse experience for all. Manly :)

Glad we live where intelligence reins in the woods.....the brains that far south in CT are down below the belt there. Give me a break.
"Assless" with "chainsaw diversity" ....what a combo !

Glad we live where intelligence reins in the woods.....the brains that far south in CT are down below the belt there. Give me a break.
"Assless" with "chainsaw diversity" ....what a combo !
Yeah but supposedly you guys are to fragile to cut in the summer. But cut alone so if you get stuck or hurt you could freeze to death. Lol.

To be clear i could not care less when you cut i just find it amusing and am poking fun.

Reactions: Ashful
pics or it didn't happen ;)

I know this is a family friendly site so I certainly would not post pics of our crews exposed buttocks, although it would make for enticing viewing. I have attached a photo of yours truly geared up and heading into the woods. My chaps are leather, but I do have a Kevlar man thong protector in place. These are the standard chaps used by our men and women typically when we go in for short trips with the focus being on heading to the club afterwards. Kevlar assless chaps are more common when we head in for the long haul. The safety helmut goes on before the saw starts up. These particular chaps fit a bit looser but have a nice wide cutout and the backside. Allows for good air flow and movement. Who said style and safety can't coexist? Manly :) :) :)
chapman.jpg

Cute, butt no cigar.

Cute, butt no cigar.

Definitely no cigars when cutting and bucking in the heat of summer. Depending on where you live, there may likely be a burning ban in place during summer months. Drop a cigar in the woods and it could turn into a hellish inferno. We like things hot, but no cigars. Good call Caster.

post 65, absolutely hilarious honestly made me lol

Gets you thinking about the possibilities? Never too old to be fashion conscious. LOL??? Suspect that is an acronym for "looking on line" for the latest in safety fashions. My fashion consciousness dates way back to when my mother always told me to wear clean underwear, you never know when you might get run down by a car and end up in the hospital. Don't want skid marks on your shorts she would tell me. Skid marks be dammed mom, I'm a logger! The seed for assless chaps was planted early on. As I grew and got more involved in logging, cutting, bucking and stumping, I became very attuned to the dangers and safety requirements of the chain saw and surrounding environs. This led to an internal dilemma and clash between my safety common sense and my fashion sense. After years of wrangling with the issue, I have truly become a fashion maven of the woods. I can move comfortably and fashionable from the home, to the woods, then onto the clubs, spas, or other public houses. All this without a change of wardrobe. I am not here to blow my own horn, I will leave that to others, however I am the envy of all our wood dwellers, and I do cut a dapper image, rather manly. I do understand that logger fashion is not everybody's cup of fluids, but the options are out there. Manly :)

View attachment 227487

Manly and his crew in the woods?

Your picture is a bit fuzzy but it certainly could have been taken during our most recent group foray into the deep thicket. The strapping young man in the forefront looks like it could be young Roscoe, one of our helpers. We use a few helpers for setup, brush clearing and the alike. Did you take this picture recently in our area? If that is Roscoe then the gentleman of color adjacent to him is certainly Norbert. Roscoe and Norbert are an item of sorts. Not an item in a funny way, just that they are like a couple of peas in a pod. You won't find one in the woods without the other, kind of like a nymph and a fairy, always show up together. Since neither is wearing full PPE, I am guessing they are on a break, coming or going, if this is in fact Roscoe and Norbert. Too bad your photo is so fuzzy, it is a good representation of the diversity of our team. Did you introduce yourself while you were there? If so, I'm sure they offered you some fluids or something to munch on. It's just who we are. I suspect you actually snuck up on them to get the picture. You were probably and understandably intimidated by their exuding raw manliness on display in the woods. It's who were are. :)

Things should never "go wrong" with harvesting firewood or any chainsaw use. Pro loggers AND those of us who simply harvest our yearly firewood have done it for decades without any serious accidents.
Planning the felling with care, with intelligence. Often where we harvest there is no cell service. Most do NOT want anyone near a cutting.
Diligent planning of each cut includes looking up for those widows, making the hinge, clearing an escape route, knowing where and how the tree will (will) drop, and the use of tools such as wedges and skill to use bore cutting for safety to direct the fall.
This is not high end theoretical physics; just plain brains with experience. Many here boast about NOT using full PPE.

Things should never "go wrong" with harvesting firewood or any chainsaw use. Pro loggers AND those of us who simply harvest our yearly firewood have done it for decades without any serious accidents.

You think that pro loggers never have any serious accidents, ever? Really?

By your logic, they shouldn’t even bother with PPE, since they never have serious accidents.

Last edited:
Planning the felling with care, with intelligence. Often where we harvest there is no cell service. Most do NOT want anyone near a cutting.
Diligent planning of each cut includes looking up for those widows, making the hinge, clearing an escape route, knowing where and how the tree will (will) drop, and the use of tools such as wedges and skill to use bore cutting for safety to direct the fall.
This is not high end theoretical physics; just plain brains with experience. Many here boast about NOT using full PPE.
If you think things never go wrong you clearly havnt been cutting very long. My old neighbor ran a logging company and beleive me things went wrong.