Chainsaw was bogging down after new chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I put a new Oregon chain on the WildThing and it cut great the first trip out. The second trip (a week later) it kept bogging down in the cut. Not always, but definitely far more than I've ever had with this saw.

I adjusted the chain tension the second time (in case it had stretched) and wonder if that made it too tight? I checked the tension and it looks Ok as per the chain and saw instructions as far as the distance I can pull the chain away from the bar. Still, it is nagging at me as I feel I had to really crank down on the tightening screw when I adjusted it. What are the symptoms of a too tight chain?

The things I look for are:

1) Put on a good work glove and grab the chain with your index finger and thumb...see if you can slide it back and forth. If it is tight to slide, you may have issues

2) Does the chain "freewheel" to a stop after the saw is reved. If it comes to an abrupt halt, it may mean trouble

3) Does the chain start to move as soon that the throttle is applied. If you come off of idle and the chain is still bound up...problems.

Now, if any or all of the above conditions are present, several things could cause it. Of course the chain could be too tight, but also check:

Is the bar straight, no dents, burs or other deformation of the chain guide

Is the lubricator pumping oil and has the tip sprocket been greased

Is there any buildup of sawdust, chips, sap, or other foreign material around the bar and/or clutch assembly.

The last thing I woud consider is the species of wood. If you have a brand new, sharp chain, it may cut great in oak or some other hard wood, but may tend to bog down in softer woods (or vice-versa depinding on the chain geometry)

Corey

chain too tight will tighten up further after it heats up a tight chain will bogg down a saw. Check the oil ports make sure you are getting enoigh oil on the chain.

If you are not getting enough oil on that chain it will tighten up and bogg down.

what I do every gas and oil fill is take a cap of oil and pour it on the bar making sure I get plenty on the tip.

Speaking of the tip there are a few holes there for the sproket these holes should be cleanned out occasionaly and re-greased

Again an area that has a lot of friction and heat buildup which also can add to binding or bogging down.

When doing a lot of cutting at times I may loosen the chain a tad more ( tad more) because of the heat build up will tighten it.

If after the first tank full it looks too loose then I re-tighten it. Bleieve it or not the wood you are cutting can make a difference. Harder wood creates more friction and heat

Woohoo! Loosened the chain a bit today and she ran like a champ! Made short work of that hickory.

Thanks for the advice! Wore my new chaps too.

It's good to hear the chain is fixed and it's great to hear about the new chaps being worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.