Change my mind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Buy a diesel 1650 Oliver. It’s pre Tier-anything. 😂 Mine has a shift on the fly three speed in each gear, a big loader whose capacity hasn’t been reached yet, and will twist shafts off of 6’ mowers. 😱 Plus you get the thrill of owning a vintage piece of equipment, all for a discount price. 😜
We have a john deere 4010 with a 158 loader too. But it is a little big in the woods and for doing yard work. However, that loader has some serious lift capacity

Another thing to consider... Hydro or shuttle trans? I dont have any experience with shuttle. pros/cons?

Reactions: duramaxman05
So I think I will be looking at 30+ hp machines. Maybe even 45 hp. Still unsure about hst vs shuttle. Got my current tractor up for sale. If it sells, a shopping I will go!

I think it depends on the way you run the tractor. If you run in higher gears and ride the clutch your probably better off with the hydraulic forward/reverse
There is only a few tractors with the hydraulic shuttle. Its definitely a lot better than regular shuttle. It depends on what you are doing with the tractor. We went hydrostat just because the tractor is used mostly for loader work.

Also with the hydraulic shuttle shift, they mostly come in the higher end tractors. The more economy tractors come in hydrostat or standard shuttle.

If you're doing heavy draft work like pulling a disc or a plow a gear drive transmission is best, hydrostats oil can and will overheat if you're working them too hard.
The hydrostats also take some power away too. If you are going to go with hydrostat, what ever size you want, go with the next horsepower bigger in that frame size.

Will mostly be used for loader work. Minimal heavy pulling. Think I will stick with hydro.

Will mostly be used for loader work. Minimal heavy pulling. Think I will stick with hydro.
We only notice the power difference when traveling down the road.

So sold the tractor and am currently shopping. Real close to buying a new 35 or 40 hp hst tractor. Came across a 39hp Kubota with 2200 hrs and a glide shift Trans.
Any former or current gst owners out there with pros or cons?
The hours are a bit high but with the age of the machine, it equates to roughly 200 hrs a year. Should I be concerned about the amount of hours it has?

That's a lot of hours. If maintenance had been kept up and it hasn't been overworked/abused, it should be ok, BUT you can't believe what the seller says. If you don't know what to look for and test, it can be a shot in the dark. Heck, it's a crap shoot even if you do know what to look for. If it made it to 2200 and everything is still tight/greased and the fluids are nice (not brand new, because some sellers will change the oil right before selling to hide stuff), and it runs, drives, and operates smoothly, it should be ok. Run it for a while, drive it, use it. Get the fluids moving and up to temp. Make sure they still look good. Does it make any noises?

I have seen old tractors/equipment in great shape after 70 years and I have seen equipment that was destroyed in 150 hours.

So sold the tractor and am currently shopping. Real close to buying a new 35 or 40 hp hst tractor. Came across a 39hp Kubota with 2200 hrs and a glide shift Trans.
Any former or current gst owners out there with pros or cons?
The hours are a bit high but with the age of the machine, it equates to roughly 200 hrs a year. Should I be concerned about the amount of hours it has?

GST is unusual. Here's a nice video and transcript showing how one drives: https://messicks.com/school/kubota-l4060-with-glide-shift-transmission-de

Reactions: Gearhead660
Well, I searched for a decent used tractor, but didn't find anything that I was crazy about. Nothing that checked all the boxes. Also looked at new tractors at dealers near me.
Excited to say, I put my name down on a new 40 hp Tractor. Will post pics when it gets delivered.

Well, I searched for a decent used tractor, but didn't find anything that I was crazy about. Nothing that checked all the boxes. Also looked at new tractors at dealers near me.
Excited to say, I put my name down on a new 40 hp Tractor. Will post pics when it gets delivered.
Well, what did you get? 40hp, generally, speaking is a class with enough engine and hydro power to scoop up a stump without a lot of messing around and making a mudhole.

HP is only one part of the equation. Don't fall into the HP trap. Its like thinking more HP makes a vehicle go faster. If that were the case a diesel locomotive would be a drag racer.
HP rating are used as a sales technique. Do your homework on what you actually want the machine to excel at. Like all equipment they have specific strengths and weaknesses.
I agree. Compact tractors these days are "light weight" and they get 35-50+ HP motors in them and makes you feel like you got something. That HP is no good if you can't get it to the ground. I have a 45HP Kubota and a 25 HP w/ a backhoe. That extra weight of the backhoe really helps that 25 HP get the wheels in the ground for pushing and pulling.

Well, what did you get? 40hp, generally, speaking is a class with enough engine and hydro power to scoop up a stump without a lot of messing around and making a mudhole.
Got an LS MT240H.

I agree. Compact tractors these days are "light weight" and they get 35-50+ HP motors in them and makes you feel like you got something. That HP is no good if you can't get it to the ground. I have a 45HP Kubota and a 25 HP w/ a backhoe. That extra weight of the backhoe really helps that 25 HP get the wheels in the ground for pushing and pulling.
This tractor weighs in at 3500 lbs. A decent increase from my last tractor. Will be used mostly for picking stuff up and moving it around. Wanted to go decent sized as I didn't want to be upgrading again. Thinking of what I may be doing in the future, making sure it could do that as well.

That's the way it was when we ordered ours. It took ours 3 months for ours to come in
They have it in stock. Just have them adding a couple things to it.

They have it in stock. Just have them adding a couple things to it.
They didn't have any of the 3r series in stock. Hardly any tractor for that matter. That was a year ago though.

Today is new tractor day! The part for the third function finally came in, and I went and picked up the tractor. Far more machine than the last one. Will be getting some seat time this weekend.
20230217_181939.jpg