Chaps 7 layer, 9 layer - brands? Hmmm...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
On a very related topic to my thread on first gas saw purchase, what about chaps? I suspect that I want/need a pair and of course looking at the Stihl site they point out theirs and I see they have 7 layer and 9 layer models - no other variants listed.. it seems obvious that the more layers the more protection, but just how much is 'enough' - yeah, I know, depends on just how big a mistake you make right? But seriously - is this a case of the 7 layer is enough in most cases with a smaller saw and the 9 layer is for folks using pro grade saws where a smaller mistake can cut deeper much quicker?

Being safety gear I know going 'cheap as possible' isn't likely the best way to go, but paying top dollar doesn't necessarily buy better protection either. So - are there good enough reasonable chaps out there that folks can recommend? I've never actually seen anyone wearing chaps either, but then again I haven't really been around folks working chain saws much at all... Perhaps this lack of real experience is all the more reason I should be wearing safety gear eh?

Anyone here have first hand (or leg?) experience cutting into their chaps? Any good recommendations to share?

Again - thanks in advance...

I cut through 3 of 5 layers across my thigh when I lost my balance in deep snow. I had both hands on my saw that was idling as I walked to the next tree. When I fell backward, my mitten hand hit the trigger.

I have several superficial scars on my left knee from three separate mishaps when not wearing protection. I think 7 layers would protect you unless you plan to work in very rugged terrain.

It seems like more layers would be better. I bought a pair of Husqvarna Pro chaps last month. They were about $80. I don't know how many layers. I read some threads on this forum and finally thought that it was time to buy them. It's a pretty good feeling to know that I have the extra protection. Kind of like wearing a seatbelt in a car. I would recommend that you buy what you can afford, but don't put it off any longer.

Both 7 for summer and 9 for winter! lol 7 good like lligeta said unless the terrain real ruff

kevin j said:
http://www.labonville.com/
I agree, but one suggestion, buy longer than you think. I had to send mine back because they were too short and I have short legs.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
kevin j said:
http://www.labonville.com/
I agree, but one suggestion, buy longer than you think. I had to send mine back because they were too short and I have short legs.

Shipper
that would depend on your bar length but your 79 cc dolmer I would want it as long as my leg as well

My two cents... the difference in price between 7 and 9 layer is like $15. My leg is worth about $500,000. 'nuff said.

Woodsman_WI said:
My two cents... the difference in price between 7 and 9 layer is like $15. My leg is worth about $500,000. 'nuff said.
thats a good way to look at it!

I never knew that chaps were sized to your bar length, I thought it was to the top of your foot? Not all men's bar lengths are the same from what I hear. :lol:

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I never knew that chaps were sized to your bar length, I thought it was to the top of your foot? Not all men's bar lengths are the same from what I hear. :lol:

Shipper
LOL thats what separates the men from the boys

I think just using them 7 or 9 layer is better than 1/2 the wood cutters out there! So get a pair and wear them!

I once heard that the avg. chain saw accident if you survive is around 130 sitches to sew you up.

deck2 said:
I think just using them 7 or 9 layer is better than 1/2 the wood cutters out there! So get a pair and wear them!

I once heard that the avg. chain saw accident if you survive is around 130 sitches to sew you up.
i have seen it, 9 layers is hot hot hot right now! I can do it in shorts but not long pants. using 7 layer now

For all I know they are all made this way now but if you have the option get the style with the wrap-around 360 protection below the knee. That's where the tip of your bar is going to be flying around when you're limbing by braille under a downed tree top. And it makes wading around in bramble thorns a little more tolerable.

Yeah, they're hot in summer time but my answer to that is get all your wood done in cool weather.

By whatever pair is around $325. That is what my emergency room bill was.

DaveBP said:
For all I know they are all made this way now but if you have the option get the style with the wrap-around 360 protection below the knee. That's where the tip of your bar is going to be flying around when you're limbing by braille under a downed tree top. And it makes wading around in bramble thorns a little more tolerable.

Yeah, they're hot in summer time but my answer to that is get all your wood done in cool weather.

The pair I bought thru the Husky dealer years ago have the wrap around from the knee down. Its worth having, I have a knick in the back of 'em. kinda thinkin' I would of had a bigger knick in the back of my leg. Got a couple of knicks in the front, won't start the saw without 'em on. Keeps the jeans cleaner too.

BrotherBart said:
By whatever pair is around $325. That is what my emergency room bill was.

for $325.00 did they give you two asprin ;)

I have a pair of the orange Stihl "Promark" brand chaps, nine layers of "Engtex" padding (supposedly better stuff than kevlar) - they seem to fit OK to me, reasonably comfortable, but still kind of hot in warm weather - I don't use a saw without them. I haven't 'field tested" them yet, and hopefully never will...

Gooserider

Every where I go, when in shorts, people ask me where I got the 6 inch scar on my left lower thie just above the knee cap. I tell them jokingly, "I cut my leg while shaving, the night of the high school prom". Since I'm an ugly fat ass and the most unlikly to be a cross dresser, it gets some laughs.

But 21 stitches, 8 hours in the emergency room, 3-5 hundred dollars in medical bills, and 30 years of experience tells me this: Get the most protection you can. Its VERY cheap insurance.

DaveBP said:

I'm running the Stihl chaps with 360 wrap around. Very comfy even if a bit warm this time of the year. I'm 6'1 and I'm running the 36" inseam chaps. If you're anything above 5'-8" to 5'-9" you're going to want the 36" chaps. In my opinion the chaps should get as close to your boots as possible and the Stihl 36" is nowehere near a normal 36"...it's closer to 30".

I think I paid $110 for mine. I love being able to walk through anything out in the brush with the chaps on. They're useful for more than just protection from a rogue chain, this is for sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.