charcoal briquettes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevekstevek

Dec 9, 2008
Long Island, NY
So, I've got a bag of charcoal briquettes -- regular -- not the match-lite stuff. I don't have a charcoal grille, so it's just sitting around taking up space.

I was wondering if I could throw them into the wood-burner.

I've read that they're mostly wood, but they also have some actual coal content. And coal may not be good for stainless flues, unless they're a certain type. But, I haven't been able to find out if it's OK to burn these or not.

Thoughts?

I would think it would be OK to burn them a little at a time, throwing them in after about the 1/2 way part of the fire when most of the load was red coals.

Most of these are made from just wood.....although some may have some soft coal. I would not worry about any corrosive effect.

"Technically" there is probably something in most stove owners manual about only burning natural unpainted/unfinished wood products and nothing else. But in reality, I can't see where throwing some in once you have a good fire going would make that much difference...especially if you're only doing it to use up a bag. Like Craig said, most charcoal is made from hardwood anyway, so not too much different from what is left when your stove burns down to coals - and even if there are a few other additives that somehow attack stainless steel, but are OK to contact food and be eaten, burning a bag of charcoal shouldn't drastically affect anything. Though, I'd much rather go get a nice grill and some thick juicy steak and put the charcoal to good use!

Status
Not open for further replies.