Charcoal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
So I have long been annoyed that my ashes wind up with largish chunks of charcoal in them, both because it seemed wasteful and because the chunks are unsuitable for some of the purposes I put the ash to.

A while back, I ordered a commercial deep fryer basket to sift the ashes out in the stove while keeping the hot coals. This was a lot of work and was really pretty impractical overall due to lack of room in the stove.

The basket got sidelined until tonight, when it occurred to me that I was using it wrong. I took my bucket of cold ash from a week ago and poured THAT into the fry basket, and shook the ash out into my ash pit. This was quick and easy, and left me with about a gallon of homemade charcoal, which I took back inside and dumped into the stove.

I am really happy with this result. I have increased my wood efficiency by some tiny fraction while adding only 5 or so extra minutes to my weekly shovel-out, and made my leftover ashes more useful to me (no big chunks of charcoal in the compost, garden, lawn, etc.)

I know many of you have questions (specifically, "So what?").

Well, that's what passes for excitement around here. I will keep you posted when my next stroke of genius comes. Stay tuned. ;)

So I have long been annoyed that my ashes wind up with largish chunks of charcoal in them, both because it seemed wasteful and because the chunks are unsuitable for some of the purposes I put the ash to.

A while back, I ordered a commercial deep fryer basket to sift the ashes out in the stove while keeping the hot coals. This was a lot of work and was really pretty impractical overall due to lack of room in the stove.

The basket got sidelined until tonight, when it occurred to me that I was using it wrong. I took my bucket of cold ash from a week ago and poured THAT into the fry basket, and shook the ash out into my ash pit. This was quick and easy, and left me with about a gallon of homemade charcoal, which I took back inside and dumped into the stove.

I am really happy with this result. I have increased my wood efficiency by some tiny fraction while adding only 5 or so extra minutes to my weekly shovel-out, and made my leftover ashes more useful to me (no big chunks of charcoal in the compost, garden, lawn, etc.)

I know many of you have questions (specifically, "So what?").

Well, that's what passes for excitement around here. I will keep you posted when my next stroke of genius comes. Stay tuned. ;)

I am a food guy by trade, and that is a brilliant idea. I have a few lying around from old fryers that we cannot use anymore....Hmmmm. Not sure why I didn't think of that first...
Wait...I did think of it first, yeah, that's it, and I uh, send the idea to you psychically...yeah, yeah, that's it...I sent it psychically, yeah, that's it, that's the ticket, I thought of it and sent it to you psychically...
:p :p ;) ;) :):)

Well, that's a relief. Next time my wife faults my mental processes, I am blaming your psychic interference.
Hey...I am originally from Buffalo, NY. Snow & cold has forever altered my brain & thought processes. Besides, great minds think alike...==c
First major winter I remember is the Blizzard of '77.

That is a good idea. I throw out a lot of charcoal. I may have to give it a try.

Why not stockpile the chunks and chuck em in the weber next summer! I've been bumping up the stat to burn them down when I think to. May re evaluate and create some cooking chunks:cool: Might even be a great idea to make it. Hmmmmmm.

Why not stockpile the chunks and chuck em in the weber next summer! I've been bumping up the stat to burn them down when I think to. May re evaluate and create some cooking chunks:cool: Might even be a great idea to make it. Hmmmmmm.

If I was going to do that, I'd get a metal trashcan with a tight fitting lid, and store the can well away from any combustibles.

I bet homemade charcoal has less funny tasting additives in it than bagged stuff does, but the smaller chunk size could mean that you need to adjust your burning practices on the grill.

I've actually researched making charcoal. Interesting on youtube. Started using very small splits on the weber last summer instead of charcoal. Works very well also.

I've actually researched making charcoal. Interesting on youtube. Started using very small splits on the weber last summer instead of charcoal. Works very well also.

I like cooking over wood. Haven't used charcoal in years. I do use propane most of the time, as it's instantly ready to go. Wood is for days off.

I have an old cast iron cookpot and frypan that I use to cook outside over the fire (usually when my wife's out of town). I should do some scrounging and see if I can come up with a grate from an old BBQ grill to supplement my out back kitchen. :)

It's pretty nice to sit by the fire and cook and eat and watch the sun go down. After dinner, I often drag a bunch of brush from a brushpile over and make a bonfire out of it. (Need to do more of that this year, the burn pile is getting big thanks to all the ice and wind we've had.)

If I was going to do that, I'd get a metal trashcan with a tight fitting lid, and store the can well away from any combustibles.

I bet homemade charcoal has less funny tasting additives in it than bagged stuff does, but the smaller chunk size could mean that you need to adjust your burning practices on the grill.
You probably already know, but,
please, if the coals (charcoal) are still active/warm, stored that can OUTSIDE!
A lid on a metal can is not airtight and CO is nothing to mess with.

You probably already know, but,
please, if the coals (charcoal) are still active/warm, stored that can OUTSIDE!
A lid on a metal can is not airtight and CO is nothing to mess with.

Well, yeah, the idea being that it might turn into a Surprise Bonfire at any time.

Anywhere inside a structure is not "well away from any combustibles". :)

I wouldn't add the stipulation "if the coals are still warm". You can get a hot coal out of the middle of a cold bucket. Always treat your ash it like it's going to catch fire, and it won't ruin your day if it does.

Well, yeah, the idea being that it might turn into a Surprise Bonfire at any time.

Anywhere inside a structure is not "well away from any combustibles". :)

I got a 500lb stove that sits in my basement "well away from combustibles". ;)
So since you did not specify putting the can outside I was just trying to help ward off a CO death of someone in your house.

I wouldn't add the stipulation "if the coals are still warm". You can get a hot coal out of the middle of a cold bucket. Always treat your ash it like it's going to catch fire, and it won't ruin your day if it does.

I wasn't referring to the can catching something on fire. I was concerned about carbon monoxide.
But, put it anywhere you choose for sure.