Cheap Air Movement Solution - Computer Case Fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
If anyone is as cheap as I am - here is a possiblity. Got my Resolute Acclaim up and running but still chilly in far corner of MBR. As I read here - I tried blowing air down the hall floor toward the great room (stove location) and having hot air return along the ceiling. Seemed to work pretty good. Problem was: VERY cold bare feet. So, I want to move hot air down the hallway toward 3 BRs. I tried a dual fan window unit suspended from the ceiling - worked but looked horrendous. Had a few 80mm computer case fans (also in computer PSUs) - rated at 32 CFM...so, I screwed 2 of these to a board, put in a switch, painted white with can of plastic paint and powered with an old AC-DC adapter (from some toy?) (12vdc, 0.3 amps output) - it powers 2 fans (0.11 amp draw each) fine. I installed a 120vac outlet in attic above fan board and just plugged adapter in. First time using it is today. Got stove at 500 degs. I can feel faint air movement 12 feet down the hallway - thermostat location - tstat shows 78 degs (40 degs outside). Will see how it does at 20 degs. I may add 2 more fans but need another power adapter. If I add more fans - I may just use an old AT/ATX PSU and power all of them - but that PSU would probably use much more energy than basically 2 cell phone chargers. An added plus - with TV or radio on - you can't hear fans.

Attachments

• dualfans1.jpg
    dualfans1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 844
  • dualfans2.jpg
    dualfans2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 857
I use one as the blower on my stove. And have 3 others. 2 in doorways and one isn't hooked up at the moment.

Matt

Way to go Doug!

dougand3 said:
Had a few 80mm computer case fans (also in computer PSUs) - rated at 32 CFM...so, I screwed 2 of these to a board, put in a switch, painted white with can of plastic paint and powered with an old AC-DC adapter (from some toy?) (12vdc, 0.3 amps output) - it powers 2 fans (0.11 amp draw each) fine.

Dumb question, I imagine, but does the DC power need to match exactly ? I have a fan that's 12V and the power supplies I have lying around are 11V and 9V. Do I need to keep scrounging for a 12V or would one of these work ?

Here's my redneck solution. The fan is plugged into a cord that goes in the attic. It works well to spread the heat in my small 1150 sq. ft. house.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 644
  • fan2.jpg
    fan2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 653
Brian VT said:
dougand3 said:
Had a few 80mm computer case fans (also in computer PSUs) - rated at 32 CFM...so, I screwed 2 of these to a board, put in a switch, painted white with can of plastic paint and powered with an old AC-DC adapter (from some toy?) (12vdc, 0.3 amps output) - it powers 2 fans (0.11 amp draw each) fine.

Dumb question, I imagine, but does the DC power need to match exactly ? I have a fan that's 12V and the power supplies I have lying around are 11V and 9V. Do I need to keep scrounging for a 12V or would one of these work ?

I was just told that lower V are fine. It'll just run slower with less V.

Agree with Brian...small undervolt is ok - will run a tad slower....overvolt is the no-no....overrevs, sounds too loud, will be burn windings out, minor fire hazard, too. Most computer case fans are 12vdc and draw 0.11 to 0.14 amps (110 to 140 milliamps)...check your transformer and don't OVER the amperage.

Thanks for encouragement, Savage. And fine air movement there, jukebox. Step outta baf-room and dry hair, too. Woulda thought you had to be from ala-dayum-bamer to think of that - LOL.

I had a Frankenstein setup going for a while in the basement. I used a 4" flex drier duct from the main trunk down the wall and under the computer desk with a computer case fan in the line to boost the air flow. Sure helped fight away the cold feet. I don't use it anymore as I moved the computer upstairs where it's warm.

Great ideas. I was just looking to put a few of those small door frame corner fans in to help blow heat around select spots. Does anyone have any experience with those self generating eco fans that sit on top of the stove? I've seen them at the dealer's store but they're over $100 and I wasn't sure how much they really moved the air (would however be a cool gimmick).

I've never used one, but I've read enough reviews to think they are a really cool gimmick.

They probably work, but for $100 they would have to be so much better than other available fans that it's hard to keep away the buyers remorse.

Again, all speculation on my part...

Matt

There's lots of posts here about those stovetop fans.

if I may add my idea here. Some of the pics i seen tells me some of you are living in a bungalow. you could simply cut a hole above the stove and run a 5 inch duct pipe above the ceiling down the all and then split it to the rooms you want. take a pipe and have a return come from the hall back to the room with the stove but carry it farther away so that the air will circulate evenly. The pipe is cheap at home depot. you will also want to put the insulation sock them so they maintain heat to where its wanted. once the ir is in the room it will need help to get back so a return line is needed.

The idea to keep the return away from the intake is so that that ir will warm up before its taken back to the room. www.princessauto.ca is a good site to get a 12 volt fan that sits in the ducts. you will need 2. Vents can be purchased to close up the face of the holes and will allow you to shut the heat flow to desired rooms.

Attachments

• heatflow.JPG
    heatflow.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 410
That's a fine idea, Tim.

I made another dual fan to move air from around stove toward hallway. Want to see if it warms hallway more quickly.

Attachments

• fans2.jpg
    fans2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 342
Jukeboxfun said:
Here's my redneck solution. The fan is plugged into a cord that goes in the attic. It works well to spread the heat in my small 1150 sq. ft. house.

I was just thinking about rigging something up like that for the night time. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has these odd ideas:)

We hang those box fans up in horse barns during the summer. Almost always I will hang them up with bailing wire around the handle. That works for a long time but be aware that the vibration does get the better of the handle.

After a while the handle prone to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.