Cheap Moisture Meter & Help Locating "Seasoned" Firewood Seller?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, bought cheap batteries online, but haven't used nearly as many since I took them out of the meter when not in use.

Mine was eating more batteries then one set a year, I now take them out when not using it and have not gone through a set since, bought some off of ebay way cheaper then in the stores around here.

Another great tip from the Folks at the Hearth ! Thanks

I have a handy tip for the owners of the Harbor Freight Cen-Tech Moisture Meter #67143. It uses 4 LR44 button cell batteries. They can be expensive to replace, even shopping a W-mart. I learned something and I don't know were I first read this, maybe it was here, but it's much cheaper to buy 2 A544 photo batteries than it it to buy 8 button batteries. It takes only seconds to peel off the covering of the Ray-o-vac Alkaline A544 to reveal the 4 LR44 inside.
DSCF8780.JPG

I have one of those. I noticed yesterday that it is way off on moisture reading. It was saying that bone dry wood is 28%. My other MM says 15%. Batteries are weak. Ordered 40 Maxell LR44s, probably fake, on eBay for eight bucks shipping included.

JeffStinson said:
Looks like quality stuff - i just emailed, and they already got back to me. I'll post prices after they respond again.
Thanks Chazcarr! (I'm an ex connectican? btw - born and raised in Woodstock, CT!)
I had family who once lived in Woodstock, CT -- Hustus. And my wife's family lives right down the road a piece in Stafford Springs and Ellington. It's a pretty area of CT.

I live right on the Woodstock border, let us know how your wood delivery goes.

I have one of those. I noticed yesterday that it is way off on moisture reading. It was saying that bone dry wood is 28%. My other MM says 15%. Batteries are weak. Ordered 40 Maxell LR44s, probably fake, on eBay for eight bucks shipping included.

I think that is exactly the deal I ordered, the batteries seem to work fine , I remove them when not in use and have not wore out a set in well over a year.

Reactions: Dave A.
I have one of those. I noticed yesterday that it is way off on moisture reading. It was saying that bone dry wood is 28%. My other MM says 15%. Batteries are weak.

Yep, mine was accurate at first, then began to degrade. Replacing the batteries solved the problem. Removing one or more batteries between uses will extend battery life significantly.

Same thing happens with my IR thermometer. It starts registering high.

Status
Not open for further replies.