Cheap Shop Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jibe

Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2008
NE Oregon
I'm asking this question for a friend of mine, so I may be missing a few details...

He is currently renting a shop space and traded some metal work for a stove. I have no idea if this stove is EPA tagged or not.

He wants to go out the wall, where it appears the old stove went and go straight up.

What is the cheapest way to do this and meet code? This stove may very well be removed within a year. Is he going to need to have class A stainless pipe once he is outside the wall?

The opening is probably 2.5x2.5 ft so he was planning on cutting some sheetmetal to hold the pipe in place and keep it away from the wood walls.

I think code requires Class A, but not sure since it's a shop space rather than habitable space... Also check to see if he is even allowed to have a stove in whatever sort of shop it is...

Gooserider

Many shops and barns are allowed to run epa exempt stoves(in this neck of the woods anyway).
Joe

polaris said:
Many shops and barns are allowed to run epa exempt stoves(in this neck of the woods anyway).
Joe

Caution - "allowed", "do" and "Legal" may have different means to different folks. And heck, in KY almost anything is "allowed" ;-P

Jags said:
polaris said:
Joe

Caution - "allowed", "do" and "Legal" may have different means to different folks. And heck, in KY almost anything is "allowed" ;-P
Can't argue with that(or complain about it).
Joe

Six inch well casing is popular around here.

As well as corrugated steel drainage pipe.
Joe

Bottom line - check w/ local code officials, insurance company and since it's rented space, the landlord, to see what will be allowed...

Gooserider

how much does well casing run a foot how thick is the steel

I haven't bought any well casing in years. With scrap high last year it may be hard to find. It's quite heavy walled but I'm not sure of the thickness.

Stephen in SoKY said:
I haven't bought any well casing in years. With scrap high last year it may be hard to find. It's quite heavy walled but I'm not sure of the thickness.
Yup very heavy and thick walled. It can be any where from 1/8-1/4 inches thick. Tough stuff for sure.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.