Cheap stove for big house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twiddler

Jul 16, 2008
Maine
I just ordered a Pelpro 120 for my 2800 Sq ft. 2 story modular home. My house was built in Canada with tight R58 insulation. I went through three full tanks of oil this past winter and was hoping to cut back a little this winter. I'm not sure where I should install this stove. I thought maybe the exercise room which has a large opening that leads to the living room and upstairs, or in the cellar running duck vents to the stove. I currently have an HRV unit in the cellar and thought about connecting my stove in it's duct work with the three registers I have on the first floor. I wanted to go cheap cause money is tight, and I know this stove will not heat this whole house all alone, but if I can cut my heating oil in half I'll be happy. Any suggestions?

If you set it up to heat the whole house the furnace will just fill in as needed at times may not run at all at times. If you use forced hot air you can place the stove in the area of the return air as long the system is insulated it would keep the house evenly heated. You would just have to run the blower all the time.

Thanks, I think I'll install my stove on the first floor. Don't like messing with the HRV. I'll need to install a ceiling fan to circulate the hot air, I'm afraid that room will get real hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.