Cheap way to get rid of insects in the wood pile - try it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

volunbeer

Apr 18, 2016
Eastern Washington
I am typically not one of those "try this - you will like it" folks, but two years ago on this forum someone suggested to use diatomaceous earth to get rid of insects. I figured what the heck - I will try it. It is very cheap to purchase in a 10# bag.

Long term review - it works extremely well! I put some on the wooden fence behind my wood stacks that used to look like an ant highway and they are gone. I sprinkle a bit here and there in the stacks of wood and my problems with carpenter ants and stinkbugs in the wood have been fixed. I have also used it to get rid of spiders by placing it in the corners of my basement and around the posts and along the wall in my barn. Same with the earwigs that always seemed to be around the exterior posts in my barn. I have even used it for Yellowjackets and it kills them at the nest. Wait until it is cool and they move slow and just throw a pinch on the nest with them in it - they are gone in a day. Much cheaper than spray insecticide although I still have to use that on nests up high. It is a dessicant so it gets on them and dries them out slowly - they take it back to the nest.

If you have a problem with insects I would urge you to try this stuff - I think you will be very pleased as I have been. No chemicals and it will not hurt animals. I mixed it into the grit and chicken feed and our girls (the feathered kind for eggs) did not have worms either. We have also used it on our dog and barn cats mixed with their food to get rid of worms. Neighbor uses it for his horses and cows to get rid of worms and parasites.

Good stuff!

I've been using DE to de-worm the cats . . . supposedly it can also be used on their fur to kill fleas. I accidentally bought something like 20 pounds so I'll be using this stuff for a very, very long time.

If you are giving it to animals (or yourself -- as some folks do eat this stuff) it is recommended that you go with the food grade DE and not the stuff used in pool filters.

It's supposed to detour slugs. I tried to find some locally to put around my garden, but had no luck. All I found around town had pesticides mixed in.

Any reactions when it gets burned?

Not only that. The stuff is sharp edged and could cause many tiny lacerations to the lungs if inhaled. Info here. Asbestos is similar being small and having sharp edges.

I know they used to use this in the AB breweries in there clarifying filters to filter out proteins that make beer cloudy, but it was considered hazardous waste a while back do to possible silicosis and cost to much to dispose so they found alternative methods. Not sure if this is still an issue tho.

Sounds wonderful. What about handling it, I have heard not to breath the dust.

it has the standard warning that any silicate will have: Prolonged and repeated exposure to excessive concentrations of this product’s dust or any nuisance dust can cause chronic pulmonary disease. Dust contact with eyes may cause temporary scratchiness or redness. This product has not been classified as a carcinogen by NTP or IARC.

breathing in any form of dust is not "good" for you

Imagine yourself naked and having to crawl over a hill of sharp broken glass and knife blades. On a microscopic level this is what diatomaceous earth is. What are diatoms? A single-celled alga made out of glass (silica). So if the insects touch it they are 'stabbed'. And this can cause the insect to lose fluids.

I don't know about ingesting it, though. It is glass.

Imagine yourself naked and having to crawl over a hill of sharp broken glass and knife blades. On a microscopic level this is what diatomaceous earth is. What are diatoms? A single-celled alga made out of glass (silica). So if the insects touch it they are 'stabbed'. And this can cause the insect to lose fluids.

I don't know about ingesting it, though. It is glass.

I really don't want to picture myself naked . . . or crawling over broken glass and knife blades.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman